Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeds in persimmons

Posted by napapen ca 15 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 23:40

I have occasionally found a seed in the fruit but this year there is alot. I am a seed saver and wonder if it is worth the work to start these seeds. There are 7 I have saved and dried. I read they need 2 months in the refrigerator. How do I know they will even bear fruit?

Would it be faster to take cuttings? do they need grafting?

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeds in persimmons

I'm pretty sure you don't want the seeds to dry out. With some seeds thats okay but I think with persimmons it drastically reduces germination potential. I think seedlings are what all persimmons are grafted onto, so if you want to propagate a persimmon tree yourself then seeds are the starting point, but if you have a named variety grafting is the way to get another tree of the same variety. If you just grow out the seedling you may get a male (that produces pollen but no fruit) -- persimmons are one of the relatively few trees that are male/female -- or you could get a less desirable female, but there's a chance you could get a good female.

o

Penny,

Are we talking about American persimmons or Asian? If American yes they are male or female and grown from seed. If you mean Asian they are grafted on to American persimmon roots. They all produce not a male female thing like the American. That is how I think it works as I am far from an expert on persimmons. If I am wrong someone will be along to correct me.

o

A UC Davis fact sheet about kaki persimmons says:

Deciduous tree; dioecious to monoecious but androdioecious and tri-monoecious ones exist. Most cultivars pistillate or pistillate-sporadically. Certain cultivars in certain environmental conditions can set fruit parthenocarpically.

o

The tree with all the seeds is Asian. I hadn't realized they were grafted onto American. I looked at all the Internet sites on persimmons. Maybe I will give up the idea of growing seeds!! Thanks for help Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here