Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhalomagica

four seasons

greenhalomagica
19 years ago

The board has been quiet lately. I hope this isn't too weird, but anyway. I bottled the four seasons. Sorry for the low quality pictures, I'm no photographer.

Image link:

Comments (3)

• Clare
    19 years ago

Interesting idea. Could you tell us what each jar contains?

Are there items that are going to spoil?

Did you really produce one bottle each season, or did you bottle them all at once with [plant?] items to represent each seaon?

• katkerri
    19 years ago

Very nice! I see you painted the box too!
    Please tell us more about this!
    (i would like to have spring in a bottle)

• greenhalomagica
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm glad you both enjoyed these. I live in the city because of college, and my apartment is not plant friendly. Little sun + a basement apartment facing the evening sun = withering plants. I very much like the art nouveau piece les saisons(four seasons), which depicts four women as representatives of each season. So I got the idea to bottle the seasons into little jars, keeping each season close by. They stay in the fridge when I don't use them, and I keep them closed to preserve the contents inside. I will replace each one as it begins to turn, though. Spring is looking a little dark so I'll change it soon. The box is made to fit the jars, and is acrylic on heavy watercolor paper.

In order(left to right), they go like this

Winter- holly berries, sea salt(looks like snow and ice if you don't disturb it), those prickly leaves that poke through the snow in winter, pine cones and needles.

Fall- I wish I had a larger bottle. I had so much that remided me of fall that I had to leave a few things out. Leaves, mustard seed, acorns, yarn, beads, hair, candlewax, honey, a few other things I can't recall/make out.

Summer- Sand, seashells, starfruit, lucky bamboo leaves, stalks of dried grass, saltwater, and some bean thread noodles that really reminded me of summer for some reason.

Spring- tea, bulbs, topsoil, sassafras(I think), rainwater, many other things I cannot remember.

Many things in the bottles are there only for color or appearance, to help me stay on track.
    And yes, I'm sure they will spoil but so do seasons, in a sense. They keep fairly well in my fridge. I also made little seals for each. I will post the them when I get home.
    Thank you both for the comments!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!