Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roland_on

cherry tree painting

Roland_ON
19 years ago

Hello gang,

Here's a watercolour I did recently (13x9). I have never sold a painting before but would very much like to. I'm going to matte it and frame it first. How much money Cnd(ballpark) should I try to sell it for? I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

thanks,

roland

Image link:

Comments (16)

• greenhalomagica
    19 years ago

This is beautiful-I like the blue on the leaves.
    It is difficult to put a figure on other's work, but a framed and matted original could be worth at least 60-70 canadian, 50 -60 american. Again, it is difficult to put a price on these things. I think it depends on the demand for your work. Perhaps you could sell matted prints on ebay first, and see how much they sell for.
    Good luck, and welcome to the forums.

• susan926
    19 years ago

Roland, Great painting, watercolor is such an unforgiving medium. I tried to sell a painting on ebay-no dice not one bid....

• Roland_ON
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the complements and suggestions gang, I know a shop owner that's going to try to sell my work. We'll have to see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

• katkerri
    19 years ago

Nice painting Roland! The leaves are beautiful. I hope you will get the price you want for it.

• pengoff
    19 years ago

Excellent job! Check out the web page of the American Society of Botanical Artists. One way to get known and justify higher prices is to win competitions.

• Roland_ON
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Pen, I'll check it out.

• sandyhills1
    19 years ago

Roland,check out the "My dream garden" post.He's got a painting on EBay.

• violet_sky
    19 years ago

You might do better to have prints made and sell more of those for less - keep the originals [you'll rarely make the $ that it's worth for all the work]. It's got a nice composition and good colors. Very well done! Good luck - I hope you sell loads of 'em! ;^)

• Julie
    19 years ago

Your work is stunning on my computer screen. Color, composition, technique- I can only imagine what it looks like in person. How large is it? I suggest you sell it framed (simple black) for 250.00 or more american- espicially if the shop has the patronage to afford this. If the shop doesn't have the clients who can afford this- make prints- 8x10" and frame those, and make cards 5 x 7" and sell those there. And bring the original, and several others to some upscale art consignment shops.
    You have the potential to go far with your talent. Pursue your dream!
    Julie

• Roland_ON
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, prints that's a good idea. I agree, it would be hard to make a living selling paintings that took close to a whole day to paint for $100 (plus the matte and frame!). It seems every painting I do has some feature that I don't like somewhere in it. This makes it harder to consider prints. Oh well, each painting I do gets me closer to painting the kind of watercolour that I'd like to paint. Practice makes perfect. I hope!

re. Sandyhill checked out "My dream garden" its a nice painting. We'll have to see what happens.

re. Julie The painting is only 9x13. Did you mean a black frame or matte? I was thinking maybe both hmmm Any opinions on the matte/frame subject? I'm waiting on my brother to make some frames. I was going to make them out of pine and paint them black(keep cost down). Do you thing both frame and matte in black would look good or not? Maybe black frame dark green matte? Thanks for the kind words. I'm definately going to pursue my painting dream, or addiction I should say.

Thanks again gang.

• bultman
    19 years ago

That's gorgeous - the lighting's really good - well done.

Bernadette

• paulns
    19 years ago

Two things I find surprising Roland: one - given the quality of this one, that you've never sold a painting before, and two, that you've achieved so much in watercolour in only a 9X13" space. Wonderful colour, play of light and shadow, and detail (the chewed and spotted leaves).

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

You might try a very dark red matte and a thin black frame.

• Roland_ON
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good idia (dark red matte) Should have got one last time I was In town. That would probably make the leaves "pop" out.

Thanks so much gang, this forum is inspiring me to go out and try to make some coin off my paintings. As soon as my frames are made.

• chavakitty
    19 years ago

Lovely painting, Roland. Sometimes if you put a higher pricetag on a painting, it makes people sit up and take notice. Artists can have a tendency to undervalue their work.
    Nancy

• nycteris
    19 years ago

I agree. Sometimes a higher price helps. (Even though sometimes in the back of your head you're thinking "Wait, I wouldn't pay that much for it.") I have no experience with pricing original watercolors so I can't even give a ballpark figure. I certainly envy your talent!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County