Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krensgarden

Homemade Garden Gazebo

krensgarden
19 years ago

My husband came across some scrap sheets of copper at a recycler's outlet. He is a metal fabricator by trade and formed the sheets into a dome which we soldered together. There was also some 4" diameter steel pipe at the recycler's which became the legs for the dome. We added some aluminum castings welded together for a 'ring' around the bottom. Wanted to get this done for a June wedding in our garden, and completed it just in the nick of time. Here's a pic.

Image link:

Comments (28)

• paulns
    19 years ago

Karen, you've transformed your yard into a painting. It is absolutely enchanting. And not just the finished gazebo but the inspired thinking that led to it - wonderful. I made the mistake of showing the picture to my wife. She got that admiring/avaricious look in her eye...

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Paul, Thank you for your kind words about our garden, we really appreciate it. However, not everyone saw the gazebo as 'artwork'...one visiting lady wanted to know why we put a silo roof up on stilts! Actually, the garden gazebo was inspired by a Thomas Kinkade painting, and when I saw the artwork I got the same admiring/avaricious look in MY eye, too. That's when my husband, Carl, should have run for cover! We had alot of fun building the gazebo and have many sheets left over. There are more ideas lurking...wish us luck, and thank you again for the encouragement.

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

I think both the garden and the gazebo look lovely.

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Shadowgarden. I am in awe of your work, people with talent such as yours are an inspiration.

• Herb
    19 years ago

That gazebo is a beautiful piece of work.

Then I saw, in this morning's Times-Colonist, some pictures of a sculpture that's going to be installed in our new sports arena.

The 'nose cone' in the piece of sculpture reminded me (a bit) of the gazebo's dome, but what a difference. The sculpture (in my eyes) is very ugly indeed. Your gazebo, on the other hand, is a true work of art.
    Click here for the Times-Colonist article. Then go to page 5 to see the nose-cone.

• Roland_ON
    19 years ago

that is a true work of art! your garden is amazing and the gazebo just adds so much to that "eden" look you've captured. It truely resembles a painting.

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all! Herb, we read your article about the sculpture. It is certainly different, I confess we aren't very appreciative of abstract art, I guess Carl & I aren't sophisticated enough? It snowed here yesterday, here's a pic of winter in WI. {{gwi:55401}}

• Herb
    19 years ago

Karen & Carl,

I think you should send some pictures of the gazebo to some of the better gardening magazines. It would very likely be made the subject of an article. It wouldn't surprise me if you then started to get enquiries from people wanting you to make similar ones for them.

Herb

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Herb, we may give that a try. When we were building the dome, Carl came up with changes to streamline the process. Maybe there will be another one built here someday! The copper was beautiful before it began to oxidize; but we look forward to the green patina to come. Here's a picture of Carl and Joel getting ready to install the dome. {{gwi:55402}}

• Herb
    19 years ago

Wow, it looks much bigger! I looked up 'Kinkade Pools of Serenity' that you mentioned & you've obviously captured the feel of it -
    Click here

• tressa
    19 years ago

AMAZING!!!!!! It looks like a painting.....I want to be there in your yard!!!!

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You are right, Herb, that is the very painting we based the gazebo on. Carl debated making the roof out of wrought iron which is a very beautiful look, but then we decided we needed a place to get out of the sun or rain awhile.
    Tressa, thank you, too! If you're interested, I posted a bunch of pics on the Garden Photo Gallery forum under Garden Quarry pics. The 'quarry' is another one of our obsessions and we're waiting for the snow to melt so we can get back to the stonework. Thank you again for the encouragement.

• diggindutchman
    19 years ago

Karen, I read you post over in the Hosta Forum and Mikes post (Seedseller) and have been hoping from one site to another to view your posts. First with what I have seen of your garden and the work you are doing in the quarry I am very envious of your work with stones being at the Jersey Shore where the biggest stone we have is the size of a pea!! Having only one Kinkaid painting I know what that gazebo means to you and your family. He's the painter of light, your family are the creators of beauty. Thanks for the oportunity to view your garden and treasures.
    John

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

John, your words are an inspiration to us! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Robert Kinkade's paintings are so beautiful, he has such a gift. We wish we could send you a whole bunch of rocks to work with! Karen

• FlowrPowr
    19 years ago

Karen, your Gazebo is really beautiful. Your hubby is very talented. Your garden is also beautiful, love that rock wall!

• jenniew
    19 years ago

Oh, gorgeous!!!!!Between your gazebo and the quarry, I haven't bothered to look at anything else tonight. You both have an eye for producing lovely items for your yard. I keep saying to my hubby--"Look at this, what do you think?" He keeps edging away from me!!! In reality, he couldn't believe the work that you two accomplished and how neat it is.
    Thanks for the pictures and information.
    Jenniew

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here's another shot of the gazebo construction. The copper was so shiny then, sigh.

{{gwi:55403}}

• dogs_dolls
    19 years ago

I am simply stunned by your garden. The stone work and now this gazebo....I think I need time to recover from them. And to think I was rather pleased with the effect of my lone birdbath next to a pile of rocks! This has been both a reality check and an inspiration. Your artistry and craftsmanship are just amazing. Thank you so much for sharing (she said mustering the shreds of her tattered self confidence).

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you dogs dolls, for your compliments, gosh, how nice of you! I am sure your garden is beautiful, every garden we see inspires us, too! And as for rocks, well, we do have a bit of a *problem* lol, we can't seem to quit collecting them.

Here is a link to pics of the quarry construction if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots

• Herb
    18 years ago

I just found this domed pergola on a U.K. website. They're asking 6,400 pounds for it. I don't know exactly how much that is in dollars, but my guess is $12,000 - at least.

It makes me think you should maybe insure yours against theft!

Click here

• kootenaygardener
    18 years ago

Your gazebo is absolutely amazing - it is truly superb.

I agree you need some good special insurance and an appraisal from your insurer to be sure they dont wiggle out of paying if anything goes wrong.

I was going to suggest that since you are so sad it has lost it's original shine you might try cleaning it with copper polish and then giving it a good coat of automotive clearcoat. I use it on my cast iron furniture to keep it from staining clothes. It sprays on almost too clear to see and you can overspray onto the trim without too much worry. The formulas for wheels might work best since they are aluminum compatible.

• Lavinia2
    18 years ago

the winter photo is as breathtaking as the summer shot.....thanks for having us over for a visit.

• lizinnh
    18 years ago

Do you lend your husband out? Gorgeous. I am still waiting for mine to hang a picture. LOL Love Thomas Kincaid. Truly amazing. Liz

• krensgarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your comments! Just thought I'd share a summertime picture of the gazebo taken from a higher vantage point. All too soon, the flowers will be gone for another year.

{{gwi:55404}}

• rascalthomas
    18 years ago

alsolutely, positively STUNNING!

• sheryl_ontario
    18 years ago

That's so beautiful!!! You are really a great artist! What ingenuity and imagination and craftsmanship! Great job!

• hollyinontario
    17 years ago

One of the nicest things I've seen in a long time. Just wish I had the garden to do something similar. A real inspiration.

• newgardener4b
    12 years ago

new here and just wanted to tell you your gazebo is amazing!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!