Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

questions about working with rebar

birdgardner
19 years ago

I want to make some arches according to plans from the March '92 Fine Gardening magazine (#24). You take two 20 foot pieces of rebar, bend them into arches, cross them at the centers, wire them at the cross and set their feet into pieces of conduit pipe sunk in the ground on the corners of a square.

How easy is it to bend rebar? I would make a form out of plywood and wood scraps - could one large man and one small woman bend it readily?

Does it have much tendency to spring back after being bent? The plans called for 60" lengths of conduit footings, 30" in the ground and 30" out but I was wondering

if 24" in the ground and 12" out would be enough. Obviously I don't want a child running into it and getting lashed by a springing piece of rebar (horrific thought) but if it doesn't spring, no problem.

I would like to paint them bright colors. Metal primer and outdoor paint? Auto spray paint?

Transportation - better to stick six pieces of 20' rebar under the seats of a minivan, out the trunk, and flag them, or better to take the form and bend them in a far corner of the HD parking lot, whereupon the arches would fit into the minivan, pretty much? Have to balance issues of springiness and difficulty of bending, here.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Lisa

Comments (3)

• paulinep
    19 years ago

I "Love" rebar and have used it extensively in my garden. I bent it myself wrapping one end in a towel and putting it in the crotch of a double trunk tree in my backyard. Just pulled it until I got it in the shape I wanted. I then just put two 10' pieces together and wired them with baling wire (cheap wire that rusts to look like rebar--found in the hardware stores). I like the look of rusting rebar since it blends into the garden better than any artificial green paint does. My husband took a more disciplined approach when I asked him to build me a window screen with rebar arches and bent it in his "workmate" which has clamps to hold the rebar while bending it. Here are pictures of the bent rebars I just removed from that project: : See pictures below for my rebar adventures. Yes I brought 10' long rebars home in my daughter's hatchback leaving part of it out the window with a bright flag on it. Short transport.

Here is Lady Banks rose growing over my rebar (made by my hands) arch.
    {{gwi:55417}}
    Here is another rebar arch I made to grow elagnus over:
    {{gwi:2789}}
    and a picture of the elagnus completely covering it now--but my husband replaced the rebar with brown painted pvc pipe, but the one with the lady banks rose is still holding up all those beautiful roses (will soon be in bloom here again):
    {{gwi:55418}}
    I also use it as teepees to grow big vines on like lab lab
    {{gwi:2787}}
    I once tried a row of tall teepees with black deer netting to drape from each teepee for the vines to cover, but I never got enough sun in this area for the look I was after so it came down I have drawn black lines on the picture where the rebars are so they could be seen better:
    {{gwi:2788}}

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

that's a gorgeous Lady Banks, Pauline. I wish I could grow them up here.

thanks for the hints.

I still think I might paint the rebar - bright colors should work in my tropical garden, and it would be garden sculpture for the winter (way too long this year.)

Lisa

• zeffyrose
    19 years ago

WOW-----You did a great job. I will show this to my DH beacause I really don't think I could build these.

You should post this on the Roses Forum---Alot of rosey folks would love to see this post. I'll be looking for it over on the Rose Forum
    Your garden is wonderful.

Florence/zeffyrose