Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avantgarden_gw

Impressionistically painted shutters

avantgarden
16 years ago

Help - I want to turn my ordinary outdoor shutters into works of art. I thought of cutting MDF or a light weight but durable wood to fit and screwing it to the existing shutters for stability and to provide a flat surface. They are approx. 3ftx1ft

Any suggestions as to what would work best and what type of paint to use that is durable?

The picture I attached is for indoor shutters. That is the look I'm going for, but for the outside.

Image link:

Comments (2)

• madbloomer
    16 years ago

I am currently doing my front porch adding all kinds of recycled stuff outdoors. First MDF can not be used outdoors it will get ruined if it is exposed to water. Get a primer that can go over acrylic or enamel. I would take time out to research and think about the design you want. After priming I would use an exterior acrylic, they are water based, easy clean up. Sketch out what you want and take the time to paint it on the exsisting shutters. It all depends on the kind of shutters that you have. If you have the traditional ones you might want to just change them and build some more rustic looking ones. A couple of vertical pieces and two horizontal? How much work are you willing to do so they come out looking good? Good Luck!

• treelover
    15 years ago

Exterior grade plywood might work for what you want to do.

After painting the shutters, you could add a little more protection to the surface by coating with a spar (exterior) varnish ... comes in a shiny or satin finish.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio