Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_gal

Anyone decorated their mailbox?

rose_gal
20 years ago

I have a mailbox posted on the wall outside my front door. It's utilitarian "grey" metal, and I was thinking of painting it and maybe doing some art on it. Has anyone done this? Any pics?

Comments (19)

• derfy
    20 years ago

yes, my wife has done two boxes of wild flower scenes using acrylics. I sprayed a white base coat first and finished with a couple of coats of spray urethane varnish.
    I notice the varnish on the south exposure is checking so I'll have to put on some more coats as soon as it warms up.
    I'm brand new to this web site and love it but no one has tald me how to post a picture, I do have a digicam

Fred from Grand Rapids, MI

• Rabbittmoon
    20 years ago

Not a bad idea, I'd love to paint something cool on my mailbox..

Derfy, you probably need webspace to host a pic to post it. A lot of the free webspace doesn't allow "remote linking" (posting the pic on other sites, like a forum) but good webspace is cheap and it's so easy to do. I recommend you look into it since you have a dig camera and your wife does artwork. :)

My advice, I love freeservers. Something like $6 a month for more webspace than I could ever use.

Anywho... if you ever have any questions about webspace or posting a pic, I'd be more than happy to help you. Or if you need a pic hosted, I can do that too. :)

• RosedreamerAL
    20 years ago

Painting your mailbox is very popular down south where I live.
    My parent s have had their large on the street mailbox painted
    by an artist friend twice. She painted white dogwood flowers and
    wisteria vines and it looks lovely. The mailbox itself was painted
    a dark green first. Give it a try because it certainly does wonders
    for an ordinary mailbox and brightens up the postmans day I'm
    sure. Good Luck!!

• ceebee
    20 years ago

I painted several for other people and did mine in sunflowers.

ceebee

• Sandyhills
    20 years ago

Two or three years ago the post office put up a tower type box holding all our locked mailboxes.Really like it.We ended up with a good mailbox.I spray painted it white,freely painted flowers,blue birds and our name and address using acrylic paint,then sprayed it with the $.99 cent clear poly spray from Walmart.We put it just outside our gate so when we give directions to visiters we are easy to find.We live in the country on a dirt rd.Everyone calls it the hippie mailbox LOL.It has held up well but I want to change the painting this year.My Neighbor has put hers out on a post to-I'm going to help her paint it.Sandy

• velvet_sparrow
    19 years ago

I've mosaiced mine using old plates from the TS. It's just about to be grouted and hung. :) Before it was one of those butt-ugly black metal boxes. There are pictures of it in this thread in the Garden Junk forum:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg0414022626361.html?33

• Bramma_BC
    19 years ago

Our mailbox had been looking rather sad for quite awhile when I finally could not look at it anymore the way it was. It turned out quite nicely, I think, and so does our mail person since on the first day we mounted it back on the front of the house there was a note saying just that. When I think of how long it looked in the state it was and how little time it took to revitalize it, I am embarrassed. That embarrassment has thankfully been replaced to one of pride.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots - my new Mailbox

• Bramma_BC
    19 years ago

I have just found out that this link may not be able to be viewed by anyone other than myself since it is in an edit area. Here is (hopefully) the proper link. I have received so many compliments on it that I just wanted to share my creation with GW members.

Carol from BC

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots - my new Mailbox

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Carol, your mailbox is beautiful you are a real artist.
    Shirley

• njcher
    19 years ago

on that mailbox. That little bird and the color of your mailbox just made me smile!

Cher

• lindabatza
    19 years ago

What a beautiful mailbox Carol. I don´t have a picture of mine, but I painted a landscape with a house, and a butterfly sitting on the lid. I painted with acrylics and´it still looks good after five years.

• cheerpeople
    19 years ago

I did 3 for myself and I even had a GW'r mail me her mailbox so I could paint it for her!

If you want me to do it LMK. I work cheap! But it might be more satisfying to do yourself.

You can see my old one at the bottom of my trade page. It's been redone- that was the "get done in 10 minutes the paint is drying too fast and the bugs are biting me" version. It's a lot more pleasant to do- in the house:)

Karen

• Bramma_BC
    19 years ago

So glad you ladies enjoyed my mailbox. I only paint for fun and if you knew how slow I worked (unlike Karen) you would not say I was an artist. I put the design together from many different sources. I am now about to do my daughter's mailbox but have no idea yet for a design. I do other crafts on a small personal scale and enjoy seeing the results of my labour both in and out of my home and in the homes of my family members. It is immensely rewarding and something I do at my leisure. Thanks for the encouragement.

Linda from Sweden, I did mine in acrylics, too, and it is nice to know that it will last 5 years or more. The base is oil but I have not seen any signs of problems with the two different paints existing together.

Carol from BC

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    19 years ago

Here's a link to my mailbox and other things. Scroll down to the 2nd or 3rd pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: my creations link

• zeffyrose
    19 years ago

Your mailbox is beautiful. I love the little white birdie---He made me smile this morning.

Florence/zeffyrose

• nanahanna
    19 years ago

I have a huge mailbox and about 8 years ago I painted a woodsy scene on it with deer and turkeys. I put polyurethane over it to protect it but it needs to be scrapped now. I will see if I can get a decent picture of it tomorrow and post it.

Nanahanna

• davek913
    18 years ago

We have mailbox I bought off eBay that has a flag theme. I just built a new post for it that's going into the final stages.

{{gwi:55456}}

I'd like to plant around it, but there's only about a foot between it and the curb.

• Luddy_NW_Ohio
    18 years ago

planting perennial succulents around it would be pretty nice, some even bloom early summer, and they don't mind dry conditions, since I see you are in northern indiana.
    succulents usually stay close to the ground.

I like the post. Looks like you put time and effort into it.

• davek913
    18 years ago

Thank you, Luddy. I'll have to look into some different varieties. It gets particularly dry down by the street, so that would be a good idea.

Thank you. I'm hoping a few coats of spar urethane will protect the finish enough. I'm more worried about the effect salting in the winter will have than anything else. If push comes to shove, I can always paint it though.