Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johned_gw

Outdoor paintings

JohnEd
19 years ago

Good morning. I've ready to expand my artistic designs for the garden by painting large abstract flowers and vegetables on panels that can be hung on outside walls, but I am unsure of what paint medium and panels to use that will hold up in our Zone 5 Missouri summers. (A lot of heat, humidity, rain, etc.) Any thoughts?

Comments (11)

• rara_avis
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I've been thinking about a similar project, though on a smaller scale :) so I considered experimenting on scraps of wood from DH's shop. Since it's something I want to do with my daughter(6y) I was just going to use my acrylic craft paints. A few years ago I made pocket planters out of coffee+juice cans and they've held up rather well! Just regular indoor latex as a base and several coats of the indoor/outdoor acrylic. Since it's a wipe of copper over aqua(vedigris look) any rust of the can isn't noticeable.

I think/guess :) regular streched canvas (of the size you're talking)would mildew and warp something awful, even on a covered porch. Maybe? buy a cheapo painting at a tagsale just to see how it holds up?

What about panels made of greenrock- you know? the stuff like drywall they use behind tiles in bathrooms? I've not used any sealers like polyurethane(sp?) so can't comment on that but perhaps the folks on the Garden Junk forum might be able to offers more ideas.

take pictures when you're finished! :)
    Julie

• rara_avis
    19 years ago

Hi Again,
    I just asked hubby about another product I was thinking about earlier but didn't know the name

he called it 'Wonderboard'(or? dur-rock?)
    anyway, it's a 1/2 inch thick sheet of cement,sold as 3x5 foot panels, very smooth on one side, rather easily cut and drilled. I told him about the outdoor painting idea and he thinks it could work!

also, maybe ask around at an sign, awning, tent, boat cushion shop, they might have durable canvas ideas

Julie

• kates_spade
    19 years ago

John,

I am a professional artist, and last year I did a painting that was installed outside, on the exterior wall of a sauna.

The painting was done on 1/4" gessoed masonite. It was done in artist's acrylics, which, you probably know, are water proof, plastic actually, once dry. The board was screwed to the sauna wall with brass, counter-sunk flat-head screws, the holes then filled and painted over. The edges were caulked all around, sealing the board to the building. Because the painting's installed against a solid structure and caulked, it's not in danger of warping. I didn't clear-coat it at the time, but I think if I were doing the project now I would do so.

If I were doing a free-standing piece, I would look into MDF board, which can be primed and sanded to a very smooth finish, then completely sealed once painted. Masonite would be too flimsy for such a project and would certainly warp. I would be very interested to hear any other ideas, too. This kind of project can transform a garden into something really spectacular!

~kate

• michal_a
    19 years ago

I painted a mural on the back of my garage - it was lots of fun and really brightened up the back 1/2 of my yard. I'm not sure what you mean by panels. For paint I used whatever acrylic I had around the house, and sealed the entire thing with outdoor polyeurethane. Enamel paint works great too.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Mural

• JohnEd
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. Regarding kates spade reply, I agree with the idea of using gesso on the Masonite board. However,since these panels I'm going to do (anywhere from 1 foot X 4 foot to maybe 2 foot X 6 foot) might be attached to brick, vinyl or other uneven surfaces, they couldn't be caulked and sealed along the edges to prevent moisture from getting behind. What if I gessoed both sides as well as sealed with outdoor polyeurethane on both sides after I completed the paintings? I might even consider attaching an aluminum frame on the back of the finished painting to prevent warping.
    Tell me more about MDF board. Is that like the Durock Cement board?
    Michal A the mural on your garage looks great!

• kates_spade
    19 years ago

JohnEd, MDF is medium density fiberboard, and is made from wood by-products and is available in 1/4 and 1/2 inch thicknesses. You should be able to buy it at a home improvement store. It's what a lot of painted "wood " furniture is made of, the stuff that's not really wood. I wouldn't use masonite at all if it's going to be directly in the weather. Even the edges would have to be sealed completely. Masonite swells up and dissolves when exposed to water. The sauna my painting is attached to is in southern California,and your zone looks like, what, Missouri? You guys have REAL weather there. Freezing would also be an issue for you, one I didn't have to deal with. Have you thought of fencing panels?

Kate

• JohnEd
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Regarding a "weatherproof" board to use, I've found a new product from Hardie Building Products called "Hardipanel" and "Hardishingle". It is made of 90% cement and sand and 10% cellulose fiber. It is only 1/4" thick and therefore lighter that regular 1/2" cement board. I am going to gesso the back side which is smoother than the woodgrain texture on the front side and see how it works. Since it is meant to be used as the exterior of a building it should hold up well. I'll keep you posted.

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

Michal A Stunning! Where's my brush!!???

Sue

• babanna
    19 years ago

michael a--wow! Hope you cont. to beautify!

• caroline_2006
    17 years ago

I am getting ready to produce some of these outdoor paintings for my Zone 9, very rainy and hot backyard in Houston. Planning on using Hardi panel, acrylics and polyurethane seal, when I discovered these posts from 2004 - Is anybody out there still doing this? Any warping problems with 1/4 " Hardi panel? How are you prepping it?
    Thanks for any help.
    Caroline

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!