Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlypassion

Outdoor mural help

earthlypassion
19 years ago

Has any one done a mural outside? I'm supposed to paint a mural on the outside of a garage. The wall is Cement and it has been primed. I've read that acrylic paint is the best but I'm not sure what to use as a clear protective coat. I would really appriciate any ideas.

-Lauren

Comments (5)

• Lavinia2
    19 years ago

Synvar....is a varnish that is touted as non- yellowing. I don't know if this claim will hold up outside....due to the fact that light is what causes yellowing in the first place. To be sure, contact Pearl's (paint & craft). Most of their people are very knowledgable, as many of them are artists as well.
    Also go to Google and type in "outdoor murals"....you may find a website with artists who have experience in this area. Please post when you find a solution.... as I also paint murals

Lav

• tango88
    18 years ago

Sign painter's oils are very durable and used by a lot of muralists. The only brand name I know of is called "One-Shot"...excellent paint.

• tweety48
    18 years ago

Can anyone recommend some type of paint-by-number pattern or stencil to paint a mural for someone who has no talent? I want to paint the hands of MichelangeloÂs "Creation of Adam" on my cement garden wall. Thank you,

• PastelSkies
    18 years ago

Hey tweety48, You can get the "Tracer" at Michael's which will enlarge the already printed image, like an overhead, on to anything bigger, but works best in the dark so you can see the image. It's mostly good for tracing the basic image fast, and the paper image to transfer must be smaller than about 5"x5" in order to fit under the Tracer (shrink the image if you have to, in order to enlarge on to another surface).

You could also trace the paper image and then make your own color seperations and number or mark them what color you want that to be, and use the traced line drawing to just get the basic shape up there on the wall. Paint in the basic block areas, then add more detail, using your paper picture as reference.

Best to trace the lines on to the wall at night with a stand-out color paint first, then paint over that during the day, when you can see what you're painting.

Ruth

• tango88
    18 years ago

You can also go retro (as in early 13th-14th century) and resort to a good old grid system for enlargement. Measure the area of your "canvas" (wall, whatever)...draw that out on paper and subdivide it small squares. Then draw the same grid pattern onto a copy of your original. From that point on, all you have to do is copy one square at a time onto the wall. Actually very easy & accurate. Cheap too.