Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

Bowling ball finished! Grouted in dark charcoal.....

luckygardnr
18 years ago

just like you all suggested. What do you think? Laurel

{{gwi:55598}}

Comments (11)

• ChlorophyllJill
    18 years ago

Out of this world! That is very beautiful - it must have taken you a long time.

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! No, it only took me a couple of weeks, and that was letting it cure between sessions because I after doing the top I had to turn it over to work on the bottom.

Laurel

• ChiGardener
    18 years ago

Here's a question. I've seen a lot of these beauties done only on bowling balls. Would I be able to get the same effect on a styrofoam ball of the same size and but a sealant on it? My next big thing would be keeping people from trespassing and taking my garden art. For now I'm must going with . . . (sigh) plain, unfancy pots for my container gardens.

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't think mosaicing a styrofoam ball would work. The weight of the glass alone might be too much. Also, it takes nothing to dent styrofoam and then the tiles would fall off. Something to think about.

Laurel

• megB
    18 years ago

Is this just tile (bits) and regular grout? It's fabulous!

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Meg. It's mostly stained glass, with some clear glass spray-painted silver and gold. I topped it off with charcoal sanded grout with black acrylic paint added to darken it. Glad you like it.

Laurel

• tango88
    18 years ago

Styrofoam is used by many cement & concrete sculptors as a base for their work. Start by building up a few layers of plaster wrap...the same stuff doctors use to build up casts. Most large hobby stores carry it these days. Then apply about an inch of a 50/50 cement/sand mix over the whole thing. Once that sets, you can use standard or latex modified grout to adhere your mosaic. I've seen similar pieces scaled up to several feet in diameter and they hold up very well. I've even seen a concrete "sofa" made using the same technique.

• ChatBot
    18 years ago

Wow, that is STUNNING!!!

Congrats.

• zillohe
    18 years ago

Hi, Actually you can mosaic on a styrofoam ball although I wouldn't do one for outide. First find a styrofoam ball that is very dense. Then a crafty type glue and coat it first then apply your tile. You can grout it too. It will not hold up putside though. After Christmas look for the large coloured plastic Christmas balls (the size of a 5 pin bowling ball) and they can be done to be outside. I have done both the indoor one and the outdoor Christmas ball.

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good idea, Zillohe! I'm gonna try that! Thanks.

Laurel

• nonacook
    18 years ago

You can also mosiac on round glass light globes.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville