Wendy_the_Pooh
20 years ago

I hear an echo...

Wendy

Comments (41)

• anne54
    20 years ago

Wendy, I was thinking of posting the exact same
    message myself. (great minds think alike...lol).
    For a while I thought this forum was dead. I had
    posted quite a lot, and nobody else so I quit.
    Then it started to come back to life, and I started
    again.

I guess it's up to you and me for the moment if
    we want this place to continue; and I'm sure some
    of the others like ceebee and sandy will be back
    again. I know some others have serious real life
    problems to deal with; they will be back I am sure.

I will post some stuff later today and follow ups.

Anne

• Barb_MI
    20 years ago

Anne waiting to see you post. Many of my things are not about gardening art more like old barns - bird so they do not fit this format.

• anne54
    20 years ago

ceebee posts those kinds of images, and nobody
    complains. We love it, her work is a joy and can
    be inspirational to use the ideas in garden-related
    pictures. We became a bit loose because the forum
    was not getting enough posts.
    Anne

• ceebee
    20 years ago

Guess I will need to find another forum for posting my "ART", paintings.

• anne54
    20 years ago

ceebee, you did not read my message correctly.
    I said we all get enriched by going "off-topic"
    occasionally. I myself posted a colorizing job
    I did on a mountain scenery picture, which was
    not exactly garden related.

• Barb_MI
    20 years ago

What is happening? Ceebee I am new here and hope I did not upset you. Was hoping others would post there art work just didn`t want to post if I was not suppose to. Stay and show us your work. Enjoy looking at what other do.

• ceebee
    20 years ago

Barb, I reread your posting, and I had totally MISREAD it the first time. My deepest apologies.

• bocci
    20 years ago

Wendy, what kind of artists are you calling too?...Just found this forum. I use different mediums and even though I get paid for it I'm really an amateur. Love using the different colors and textured plants as if they were mixed colors on the pallete.....But most of the time I just plunk it in the ground so it won't die in the nursery container. Been into variegated plants so I can use them almost like the impressionists did with paint. Need more plants though. Bella

• thad_huffman
    20 years ago

Will a draftsman do?....Thad

• wannadanc
    20 years ago

What about someone who only recently discovered the absolute joy of casting leaves in concrete - and then getting paid for doing it???!!!!

Vicki

• GracieLives (WI 4a)
    20 years ago

Oh, you guys, I want to be an ARTIST, too!!!

When I think about it, aren't all gardeners "artists"?

FYI: I've just begun (in the last ~3 yrs~) to realize that I NEED some type of artistic outlet in my life ... even if I tell myself it's "just" for therapy. Life is short and I need to enjoy it as much as possible while I can. Quite a big change for me, coming from corporate America.

Everyone, please post some web links so I can view your works. I love being inspired by creative people!

Thank you

• evagreen
    20 years ago

It is an old posting but I just found it.
    Well, I pretty new to the whole garden web forums but not as new to art. Before kids I used to paint in oil, well, now I don't paint so often anymore and if I do it is just acryl. But for compensation and because time problems I found the pencils again and developed my stile with them - until it is time for another canvas.
    I do clay and silver and gold jewelery as well.POsting things without a camera is a bit difficult, buthopefully we will have a camera soon.
    eva

• sheryl_ontario
    20 years ago

Its all art,I think. I paint wildlife and scenery in acrylic and do soft pastels and charcoal scenery and still life. My website is below. I also like to design nature crafts. But I think garden design is an art too.

• bultman
    19 years ago

My art hasn't much to do with gardening though I have painted some leaves and drawn a tree, but if you'd like to take a look at my website, that'd be great! :-) There are a few sections on the site about balcony gardening too. Hope you enjoy your visit. Thanks, Bernadette

• maseratitoo
    19 years ago

Hi artists - would photography qualify as art? Just discovered Photoshop - love to show my "enhanced" garden photos but they are not always recognized as flowers.

And has anyone seen "fractals" lately? no real flowers required but beautiful just the same. I'd love to learn how to create them, anyone tuned in?

And just to get started, what is the first step anyway? I've downsized for the internet now just need a portal for entry.

• verlenebrooks
    19 years ago

My art (folkart) isn't garden related either but I have so much fun with it. I sculpt dolls faces in clay and make primitive dolls with them. That and gardening and I'm not good for much of anything else! *LOL*

Here is a link that might be useful: My Web Site Pics

• sqlguy
    19 years ago

Well, maybe I am. Currently, I'm doing a study-series of photograph of small flowers in small vases. Here is an example:

{{gwi:55716}}
    Here's my discussion of what I'm trying to accomplish, and my own critique of what works and what doesn't:
    1. My primary purpose is to make extreme macro photos of extremely small flowers that even gardeners might normally not recognize, and arrange them in very tiny vases with few or no cues as to how extremely small they are. With no sense of scale, even somebody who might otherwise recognize the bloom(s) may have a "what-the-heck-is-that?" experience. In addition, the photograph should be beautiful in it's own right, and the flower arrangement and vase should form a good graphic compostion in form, color, and other aesthetic features.

In the series photo prior to this one, the form of the arrangement was "classical", and I've been striving for a more "interesting" oriental feel, with shapes that are more "caligraphic" in nature. This composition approaches that.

In the previous photo in the series, the background was quite distracting. It consisted primarily of out of focus folliage in bright sunlight, and it was distracting. Here, the very plain blue background is less distracting, overall, but there are some details that are still distracting. The "raindrops" are actually "defects" in the cobalt blue cathedral glass I used for the background. The "room's" corners are somewhat distracting.

The flower is too recognizable. This bulb flower seems obviously related to a daffodil, and so it does NOT prevoke the "horticultural disorientation" that I'm seeking to provoke.

Furthermore, because it's a small flower, in a small vase, but looks very much like a large flower in a large vase, it distroys some of the macro impact of this photo. The vase is about 1 inch tall, which you probably didn't realize when you first saw the photo.

The blue "bleeds" into the foreground, perhaps from flare (light reflected internally in the lens). This lessens the impact of the yellow, which is too weak under the very intense blue.

Some more positive comments: I really like the texture in the stone vase. I think the detail adds a lot to the photo. If you can't see it, you might want to increase the brightness of your monitor, to see it more as it appears on mine.

The "blue" mood of the overall photo is conceptually reinforced by the drooping posture of the blooms.

The color composition is primarily blue and yellow. The green is minimized, to give emphesis to the complementary colors. I'm NOT a "real" artist, and I want to study color composition, and felt that starting with the basics in my etudes would be helpful.

In the previous photo in

Here is a link that might be useful: see more photos at my website

• heygeno
    19 years ago

Here's my 2 cents !http://community-2.webtv.net/heygeno/ANYONEcanDRAW/Geno

Here is a link that might be useful: Anyone can Draw !

• Jeanine55
    19 years ago

How about a graphic designer that no longer works in the field. Other than that I would descibe myself as a "jack of all trades, master of none". Recently I was able to quit working outside of the house but work running our business from home. Advantages and disadvantages to it, sometimes I feel as if I am bouncing all over the place. I'll be back.

• Argye
    19 years ago

Here is a painting by my friend Relly Peckett called "Tranquility"
    {{gwi:55718}}

• mendocino_rose
    19 years ago

Sounds like there are actually lots of artists out there. Here is an example of my garden art. This is a ceramic piece. Because I have low fired it it can only be outside in the summer time.

{{gwi:55719}}

• ryanoren
    19 years ago

I am an artist and proud of it! I paint murals, and have done four wall-to-wall children's rooms. The theme has been the Garden of Eden, after my youngest daugter, Eden Rose. In addition to the murals I paint on canvas and board in the expressionist style, like Edvard Munch with a pinch of Andy Warhol. Mostly acrylic, some watercolor. I did a photographic piece with long-exposure night photography of flowers a few years ago, and got some interesting effects with my cannas! Metalsmithing has been a perennial interest since my internship at the National Ornamental Metals Museum. I have recently returned to metals with some pewter casting. I hope to work my way up to wroght iron gates and larger scale garden sculpture within the next couple of years, provided I can continue finding good patrons to fund my studio. My wife has been selling decorative feather fans with braided leatherwork, mirrors, lockets and other items. Both of my daughters love drawing, and the older one is taking an interest in computer art. The city I live in is a great place for Artists, and there is a vibrant arts community. Yes, we are out there in droves, and some of us artists have even made it in here! BTW, sqlguy, great idea...I would love to see some "large" arrangements in a one inch vase. I think you have found good schtick, which is often the key to success in creative work. It shows a lot originality.

Hopefully soon, I will stop procrastinating and update my website to begin showing my work. Until then, if anyone is interested in patronage, I would be glad to email images to you.

Namaste & Shalom,

Ryan Scarbrough

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarbrough Fair, our current site-in-progress

• John Powell
    19 years ago

I am totally new here, just signed up 9/25/04. The interest in the visual arts is tied directly into my own current planning and leadership in putting together a new nonprofit, spiritually redemptive fine visual arts center in metro Atlanta. One of my strong interests is displays of landscape designs, in particular garden art and gardens as art. This arts center will be both about presenting artworks for sale as well as being educational, meaning that some will be exhibits of fine visual creativity in the marketplace (not for sale). I need to link up with artists who are above average in talent (much more than hobbyists). Particularly interested in youth (college and younger) and the retired elderly, as two groups in need of publicity, and considered essential to a well rounded community. Galleries will include both interior and exterior environments for the displays of fine art.

• perianthal
    19 years ago

New here. Yes, Maseratitoo, I am crazy for fractals, Photoshop and all sorts of geometrically based art. There are software programs that will create the fractal from your drawing. One that gives a free trial is called Ultra Fractal.

Mostly, what I have done are plant based images as tesselations. I draw them directly, haven't tried using software - yet.

I just discovered some instructions for drawing Celtic knots, they can be done in AutoCAd nicely. Not sure exactly how I will convert them to "horticultural" or "botanical" drawings, but I will figure out a way. :)

• orphalese
    19 years ago

Hi everyone I am a watercolor artist. My favorite subject matter is botanical/floral. My husband is the one with the green thumb. He does a wonderful job and I get to paint them. I am working on an Alphabet floral series. I have completed several letters. I am posting #1 Anemone.

• zeffyrose
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I just found this Forum a couple of days ago so I posted a couple of paintings. Nice to meet other folks who love beauty.

Floremce/zeffyrose

• bultman
    19 years ago

Hello again everyone! I've added a new drawing of some moss covered trees to my website - if anyone wants to take a look.

Bernadette

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawings of trees

• renarhod
    19 years ago

Hello. Just found this forum. Please please post your work for us all to see!

I paint mostly in acrylics but am learning watercolors. A fun thing to do was sign up for a watercolor class at my local nursery where we painted in the garden there one August. She had us paint a datura plant with big white flowers hanging down. Artists bring their tools and paint right in the garden and it's fun to walk by and peek.

Does anybody do that? Or paint in their own garden? Or have you created a garden specifically so you can paint it?

Gardening and art are my two favorites.

I would post some of my own work here if I knew how to upload a pic.

• jill_on
    19 years ago

Is mosaic art an acceptable form.I cannot seem to figure out how to post a pic tho.

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

OHH, OOHH *jumps up and down*
    I'm an artist!! I am armed with a pencil and paper and this is what I bring: I can call it art if I WANT to!. Most of these are way out of proportion (flower to leaf size). My scanner is broken so my mounting heap of new art sits untouched :(

THanks,
    Dc

PS: GREAT IDEA---the itty-bitty flowers with no size comparisons!!

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

Bernadette, gosh you really have the drawing of faces down pat! *becomes a slightly pale green with envy* I've always wanted to be able to draw realistic faces but.. alas.. the cartoonish bug comes back and slaps me across the face.

Mandocinorose:
    lol!! not sure if the potteryface is supposed to be funny but I sure got a laugh out of it... I can picture walking through a perfectly calm garden, peace, tranquility and BAM!!!!! awesome face pottery!!

=Dc

• fernzilla
    18 years ago

Hey Yall:

I am an Artist living in Memphis,who loves gardening
    as much as painting. I spend most of my days in the garden,
    thinking of new design elements.
    I sometimes get inspired to paint something to go into
    the garden. I have done several wooden signs, which really
    add some interest to a certain area. We have a large covered
    patio, which runs about 25 x16 feet. It is really great to
    set up and paint outside. We have stereo speakers outside, so I can listen to music, while I am painting. Often I prefer just to listen to the sound of the two fountains,
    windchimes, and the song of the many birds.
    If I knew how to upload pics to this site, I would add
    some photos of my work. Occasionally I have sold my work
    on Ebay.

• joyor
    18 years ago

great ideas for me I'm looking for inspiration to do more artsy things.

• doylesee
    18 years ago

Hello, I am an iron artist in Houston. I have done quite a bit of outdoor type artwork. Check some photos of my stuff on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: My art website

• wasabi_VA
    18 years ago

I'm trying to find some good forums for sharing pictures and ideas. This linkhas my stuff. I like to see others work though!

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden art and trellises

• PastelSkies
    18 years ago

Doylesee... I LOVE your gear table and chain legged stool! Hope I can get something like the mechanical ideas you presented, when I'm in the position to really do some garden decorating.

The painting below is of a girl escaping rather confining environments some of us all know of, to find refuge in the wide free world of the garden, where infinite possibilities abound.

Question:
    Would any of you out there, find painting template designs useful, as I am entertaining creating downloadable designs for any beginner to advanced artists to just print out on to canvas sheets, and then paint over it with their own specialty and medium of choice...

Here are some painting ideas I'm considering for those wanting to paint, but not knowing what:

Garden Paths
    Peaceful Retreats
    Garden Colors
    Garden Animals, etc.

What do you all think, or do you have infinite lists of what to create as well? Let me know if this could help someone in the creativity realm, and I'll make a freely available design of your choice to try out.

Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: Escaping... into the Garden

• PastelSkies
    18 years ago

I am sorry, and new here, trying to get names straight... I must give credit to wasabi_VA for the wonderful gear table, though both ironworks are just outstanding. Catch you all later. ~Ruth

• stjohnsgypsy
    18 years ago

I do mosaics! One of these days I will learn how to post a picture!!!!! I hate reading instructions....my mind is hodge podge when it comes to that!

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Oh this is exciting. Somehow in my wandering around in the garden web I hadn't run into this site until today. I sculpt in clay. I don't have my own personal web site, but am part of one for Minnesota artists. I will post the link.

Some new ideas are running around in my head to link my curent work with my gardening.

Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: my sculptures

• inchworminjersey
    18 years ago

I browse here occaisonly...added some of my watercolors to the postings just today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inchwormart

• wildwendy
    17 years ago

Oh, i wish I had seen this thread before posting a similar request on another. Last year a strong wind came through and snapped off the entire top of a gorgeous pine tree in my front yard. This left me with a 22' (apx) standing trunk (no branches), that is about 2.5 feet thick, which I cannot bear take down.
    I am wondering if there is something I can do to make this tall standing trunk into something a little more attractive. I was thinking maybe I could slice (? with a chain saw???) it down from the top to aboout 2 feet and then outward to make a sort of throne with an extremely tall back, maybe even paint the inside with something attractive. Or, maybe I could make it look like a living tree again placing a potted bush on top of this tall trunk. Is there some kind of big bushy plant like that which would survive a NW winter? Or maybe something fanciful like topping it with some kind of fake palm frons or fake willow branches. Of course whatever it is ,it would have to withstand cold winters with snow and survive on natural perception for water (or be fake).
    Or, maybe put a steel rod through it and hand a couple swings???
    Has anyone ever done something like this? I'd really love to keep the tree trunk if I can make it a little more appealing to look at.
    Ideas from all artists are welcomed and appreciated :-)
    Wendy
    only@wildwendyworld.com

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County