Return to the Garden Art Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a Concrete Millstone Fountain

Posted by splais 10 (splais1@gmail.com) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 11:41

I finished my first concrete millstone fountain/birdbath. Eventually I want to do a larger one in Hypertufa, but for know it has to be concrete. This stone is 32" diameter and 4" thick. Weighs about 250 pounds so it is just about the maximum size two people can safely handle - it's still HEAVY. It took 3 80# bags on concrete to make it. Any questions, just email me. I have a whole series of photos how I did it, but have stopped trying to figure out how to post multiple photos. If you would like to see the photos just email me. /Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a Concrete Millstone Fountain

Upload them to http://www.flickr.com and under the share tab in flicker copy and past the HTML/BBCode in the meassage box of a post in gardenweb. How much did it cost to make just the stone? It looks great by the way.

o

The cost is cheap, 3 80 pound bags of quickcrete and a bottle of color tint for water. Whatever else depends on what you have to buy to make mold and pond basin. The wheel itself cost about $75 I think.

o

Here is a link to the photo sequence of it's construction:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCyNjp5

o

I might try this near my entryway on a slightly smaller scale so I wouldn't have to run a another large pond pump either this or a small Japanese maple, maybe both!:) thanks for the idea; i love the sound of running water. Does it sound like rain/gutters overflowing? Just wondering, so long as it doesn't sound like a bathroom stall I'm good.

o

It has a very nice pleasant burbling sound. You can control the sound with how deep the pond is. If there is 8-10" between stone and water surface in hole you get a very nice sound.

I have finished my large (32x6) hypertufa millstone and it came out very nice. Still has to cure for a week or so before I can mount it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Art Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here