Return to the Garden Art Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosaic stepping stones

Posted by unbiddenn 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 21:14

These were last winters project. I am at a loss what to do this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosaic stepping stones

Poppy

This post was edited by unbiddenn on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 22:01

o

Blackbird in the crabapple tree

o

Birds in my garden

o

Leftover glass

o

Pansy

o

Sailboat at sunset

o

Finished

o

Deer

o

String

o

Blue butterfly

o

Daylily

o

Robin on her nest

o

Canoe

o

Moonlit sail

o

Hummingbird

o

Tulips

o

Roses

o

Blue jay

o

Freeform

o

Squirrel in leaves

o

Luna moth

o

Daisy and bugs

o

Toad

o

Lake view

This last one is the only one that is not a diamond set centered within a square. It was the first made, and set incorrectly into the concrete.

o

These are lovely! What a great hobby - and talent! How long have you been making these?

o

These were my first ever and a real learning experience.
Thank you.

o

Your stones are beautiful. Did you use a pattern to make them?

o

Really beautiful stepping stones. Great talent! Thank you very much for sharing. I wish I had a little bit of your talent. Thank you again.

o

Wow, these stepping stones are beautiful!

o

wow they are truly beautiful stepping stones!!!

o

How lovely! Such creative designs. Can I ask, do you cut your stained glass by hand, or do you have a glass saw?

o

Thank you very much for the compliments. I did not have a pattern, infact I barely knew what I was doing for each stone until i looked at my buckets of glass and saw what colors i had left. Running out meant trips into town and new colors, new flowers, birds. By the end i used scraps, for the deer in the forest, the silhouettes, ship and the stringy freeform, rather than buy more glass. I think the last turned out the best, the ship, very limited in colors, but really pretty.
I didnt use patterns, but just pictures for reference. The daisy stone with the bugs, i had several garden catalogs open, many torn pictures of bugs. I just adapted what i saw, how the stem bent, the shape of the leaf, how the unevenness of the petal that conveys angle to the viewer. I cut with a simple wheeled hand cutter just like a pen. And nothing was exact, just as it fit my eyes view. i cant make a straight cut to save my soul.
I cut and layed the glass directly onto contact paper that I had precut to fit 15x15 inch forms my husband made from a broken melamine shelf. All of the glass was cut and pieced and stacked ready to go before the concrete work started.
lay the contact paper glass up, inside the form, and pour over it, flipping it like an upsidown cake when it hardens. Unmold it and peel off the contact paper. Its like Christmas, almost unbelievable we did this ourselves. We pour four at a time, they are 2.5" thick, (i think) but half way thru is a piece of strong wire mesh, to strengthen the stepstone.
Glass work wasnt difficult, Concrete work was backbreaking. My husband said never again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Art Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here