iVillage can't have this one :)

shrubs_n_bulbs
18 years ago

Galanthus elwesii

{{gwi:56399}}

Comments (5)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Very nice, Shrubs n bulbs! What pretty blooms!

Now, exactly what do you mean by that subject line? Is it because you have inserted it by using your personal website and that you can remove it (breaking the link) making it unavailable at a later date? Would that prevent iVillage from using & profiting off us?

I've been researching info all morning & finding many sites that use much of the same wording for their Terms of Service/Use, but usually aren't so specific about "revenue" & "remuneration" from content posted/uploaded.

More in my other post about this TOS.
    ~Rosemarie

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

iVillage cannot claim rights for an image just because someone inserts a link to it here. My photo is a simple link to an image which appears on another website and the iVillage TOS does not apply to it. The text of my message, on the other hand, is hosted on iVillage servers and they can do anything they want with it, or probably anything short of actually claiming they wrote it. This aspect of the internet has been tested in court in a number of different ways. There is nothing to physically stop iVillage downloading my photo and uploading it elsewhere, but that would be theft of my intellectual property and as a company which could be taken to court they couldn't afford to do that too often.

There are many "dodgy" TOS statements on the web, try Yahoo for a good one that sounds OK until you read it very very carefully. They may even be necessary to the extent that, for example, iVillage wants to display advertising on a Hortiplex page where the intellectual content was created by "us" but they don't wish us to be able to have any claim on that revenue.

I'm less clear on some of the possibly retospective rights that they might be trying to apply (to existing content). It seems like they are sailing pretty close to the wind on that, but they might have just enough legal wiggle room to get away with it.

• klavier
    18 years ago

Hey, that is great news, so than my images hosted on image shack and show up here when I paste the link are not something they can take? That is good to here. I spent a bit of time deleting photos from image shack, because I understood that the photos get replaced with red "Xs" when I do so.

• mira_dunham
    18 years ago

I find it odd that no one from ivillage, not even a moderator has given any input or clarification.
    Even my credit cards give me an out, i.e. if you don't want us to raise your interest rates, cancel your card now, and pay it off at your current rate.
    There should be an option to remove old photos, and at least a courtesy post from someone

• juanita
    18 years ago

Here's the conversation going on the photography forum...

Here is a link that might be useful: photography forum

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!