Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red dust in the midwest

Posted by motria z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 06 at 16:42

Anyone notice a red dust on your stuff this week? In this photo you can see some of what's left on my silver-painted balcony. It looks like rust, but isn't.

We've experienced this before in the Midwest.. see the link from the National Weather Service in Wisconsin that explains how dust from Texas storms gets transported up north sometimes (the link is from 2003). The second link from NASA shows satellite images from a dust storm just last week. Interesting, huh?

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/document/other/reddirt.php

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=17148

Image link: red dust in the midwest (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red dust in the midwest

Motria, I really enjoyed your link to the dust storm picture from NASA. Cool. And, I used to live right in the middle of one of those swaths (on a sandy land farm near the Tex/OK border). That stuff in your photo we called "dirt". Ha. When its dry and windy it will really take off. I've washed tons of it out of my eyes, ears and everywhere else imaginable. If you think its a problem for you, just think about what its like on this end! You can have all of it you want. No thanks necessary. :)

o
RE: red dust in the midwest

• Posted by motria z5 Chicago (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 20:32

Well, I wouldn't say the red dust is a problem here.. just a minor mystery. :-) I work at a government office where we get a cluster of phone calls from puzzled citizens whenever this kind of "dust event" occurs.

Thanks for the vivid description of life at the other end of the red dust trail!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here