Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over Pruning Dwarf Weeping Cherry Help Please

Posted by JeffN365 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 1:52

I did this back in November. I went a little crazy and over pruned my really nice dwarf weeping cherry. As I look at it now it seems I have a bunch of "stumps" I want to clean up as well. My questions are
1. Can I saw off the obvious stumps?
2. Is there a recommendation on how to treat the "wounds". I was thinking of some kind of tar to seal the cuts?
3. I want to repair or help mend the tree so it looks less like it's been chopped nearly to death can anyone recommend a way to do this? I was thinking of sanding the wounds but figure I am probably way wrong in thinking about doing that.
Thank you for any help, by the way the tree is doing fine as far as I can tell. It had gotten overgrown and what started as a little cleanup ended up as well you can see for yourselves.
Thanks again!

This post was edited by JeffN365 on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 2:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over Pruning Dwarf Weeping Cherry Help Please

Here is the picture

o
RE: Over Pruning Dwarf Weeping Cherry Help Please

If you are thinking that by 'sawing off the stumps' and 'sanding' (YIKES!) you can make the tree look like nothing ever happened - well, that's just a bad idea. The tree needs some of the branch collar (never, ever prune a branch flush with the main trunk) in order to heal over the wound. Let the poor thing be. It needs to heal as much as it can over your cuts. I bet when it leafs out it won't look quite so bad. Keep it well watered and hope for the best. Lesson learned, eh?
(Oh, and a good rule of thumb to keep in mind in future: in pruning, never remove more than 1/3 of the plant in one growing season.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here