Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
he plants everything together...

Posted by ilmbg northern Wyoming (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 3:40

My older neighbor can't figure out why his garden doen't produce. He is an older(80's) Hispanic man.
When he plants his garden, he plants everything where it all gets watered- everyday- for long periods (flood watering). We have very alkaline soil and I think that is also part of the problem.
He uses manure (and wonders why I don't want any vegtable....).
Besides companion gardening books can you recommend any books or have any advice? I will have to be the one that reads the book and tell him what I have read.
Thanks for your help.
PS Do you have any favorite places that you order your roots, seeds, etc from? I didn't think much about the Burgess, Park catalogues.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: he plants everything together...

Try the 'New to Gardening forum'.....there is some good info there

o

crunchpa- Thanks- but I don't see where the 'new to gardening' is.....can you tell me please?
Thanks

o

PS Do you have any favorite places that you order your roots, seeds, etc from? I didn't think much about the Burgess, Park catalogues.

Lisa11

o

Sure.....here it is!

Here is a link that might be useful: New to Gardening

o

I know how you feel (although I don't see where the man's ethnicity comes into play?). My front yard is planted with exotic plants (majesty palms, aloe marlothii, tibouchina urvilleana, kentia palm, cyathea cooperi...) while my neighbor's yard is planted with overgrown, invasive, all-too-common plants (Pampass grass, Chaste Tree, Rosemary, roses...) which get FLOODED day in and day out by their sprinkler system. They water even in the winter, which is when we get the bulk of our rain. His plants are ill looking, and disease prone becaused they are sitting in water so much. I would like to have my plants show, but the angle of the yards and the street make it to where their yard blocks mine out of sight unless you are standing directly in front of it. Seeing how it's their yard there really isn't much I can do except try to talk them into watering less and hire a landscaper. I wish you good luck and let's hope we can talk some sense into our neighbors!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here