Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceciliakeywest

The "One Week Garden" .... All is in!

Ceciliakeywest
10 years ago

Ok, first off, I was inspired to start a garden from seeing a wonderful raised bed garden posted on you tube called "two week garden". I came in just under my $200 budget for everything, including the garden soil. Growing up in Western New York, I have fond memories of gardening as a child. However, since I've lived in Florida for 27 years I have only tried to garden twice with very small plots to no success. With the internet full of inspiration, ideas and helpful tips...I caught the gardening bug again! After a few days of "mapping" out my garden...companion plants, zone hardiness, etc. I headed out to my plot...Spring time is awastin! First day I purchased materials....boards for plots, fencing and posts, a bit of hardware for the gate, and some vegetable plants, seeds and flowers plants. The second day was for some reason the most difficult because I've never had to lay out something square on the ground. After researching the 3-4-5 method, I laid out the garden space and raised the 28" rabbit fence (mostly to keep the dogs out) 28 x 15 1/2 feet. The third day I built the two 3 x 18 foot beds and dug out all the grass and tilled the soil 10" deep...by hand! But here in Florida, the soil is mostly sand, so it was not that hard. Day four I installed the 4 corner 3 x 3 plots and dug out the grass. Day five, lucky for me, my 22 year old son helped me fill in all the plots with 2 1/2 yards of mushroom garden compost we trucked in with our pickup and leveled it all out. Tripping over the fence twice, my son insisted the gate needed to be a high priority! Oops! No no, plants in, seeds in, then the rest...But day six I took a day off to rest aching muscles and it was pouring out! On day 7 I planted everything...that was the easiest!..probably took no more than two hours! Then I kept on going and installed one plot with a drip line, installed the hose real, constructed the gate and installed it. With still an hour or so left, I potted up some flowers and installed the brick entry way. Mind you, I was determined to get it all done in two weeks! Now I happily enter the garden through the gate (safely) and await my green beans, squash and cucumbers seeds to spring up! Planted: 8 tomato plants, 6 peppers, 2 artichokes (they don't look so good tho), marigolds and petunias.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Week Garden

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida