Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrift_in_beauty

ideas for this weird space

Adrift-in-beauty
10 years ago

I could use some ideas of what to fill this space its mostly light shade all day with a good amount of indirect sunlight right now its home to mulch and rocks

Comments (7)

• darcydeuce
    10 years ago

Maybe use some stone or something to make a border and shape a little planting area. Use the fountain as a focal point and add some shade loving flowers, plants etc...

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks week im growing lemon balm do u think it would like it over there and. In the corner you can see the raised mound I have should I do that over there too ...

• darcydeuce
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about lemon balm, sorry. But maybe something like a Japanese maple or dogwood. Also depends how large a tree you want in that space. If I had better skills I could draw on your picture what I'm trying to explain...but, I would clear out that whole corner so you have a clean slate to start with. To simplify matters, you could just use that corner to make a semi-circle shape to make a little (or big!) garden. You can get relatively inexpensive bricks or other stone at a place like lowes or Home Depot, but you could also use large rocks and such you have laying around for a more "natural" look.

Do a google search for shade tolerant bulbs that you can plant in the fall and enjoy every year instead of planting annuals if that's not your thing.

I like to use a tree or fountain as the star of the space and then layer plantings with different colors and textures to fill in the space.

Hope this helped.

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just realized you can't see the baby crepemyrtle I have planted behind the fountain lol so make a nice lil flower bed beside the crepemyrtle that's kinda a cool idea I gave a whole big pile of rocks hiding under that mulch I can use ..
    . I'll post pics when its done

• darcydeuce
    10 years ago

Oh how pretty! That will look really nice in the space. And I love the fountain btw. Have fun, can't wait it see the 'after' pic!

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Crepe Myrtles like sun- but ! Hydrangeas love shade

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could do hydrangeas there you are soon right .. hydrangeas and lemon balm would look pretty under the crepe as it grows ... I planted some freesia around the fountain hope it brings ever thing together . As the crepe grows and the white bougainvillea grows on the fence it will be a mostly shade area I hope they all like it I will post pics soon

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus