Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose rebirth

Posted by flower.girl.bynature Fl (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 23:27

I was given a single stemed yellow rose on valentines day . I didn't have a vase at the time so I places the rose in a water bottle filled with filtered watered. I was too lazy to throw the rose out when I noticed it had started dying. I was doing some cleaning over this past weekend and went to go pick up the bottle when I noticed the already dead rose had a growth on the stem as the picture shows. I've kept it in a well lit area but have not added anything to the bottle since the day I placed it inside. I'm excited at this point it appears to be a mini rose bush still growing on the side of the stem . I did however cut off the completely dead portion of the stem including the original rose . What is left is just the stem. I want it to continue to grow but I'm not sure if I should remove it from the water bottle or jus cut off the top so it could "spread it's wings". Can someone please give me some "green thumb" tips. I'd greatly appreciate it . Thanks in advance :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose rebirth

Here is another pic taken only 3 days after the 1st.. Awesome !!

o

That's pretty cool. Looks like it's in it's own little green house.

I've rooted roses before, but not in water, although I've heard of people doing it. It will eventually have to come out and into dirt, but I don't know being in water if it would be best to wait till there are roots showing, or not.

I just wanted to let you know there is a rose propagation forum on gardenweb, where you might try posting your question (or you can just make a post with a link back to here).

Also, up at the top right hand side of any gardenweb page is a search box. Search for "rooting florist roses" and you will find a whole bunch of older posts where you may find helpful info. Good luck. Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: rose propagation forum

o

Alright thank you.. I'll check there . I've had a coworker tell me to just add some baby aspirin change the water and let it grow a little more. Another stated I should keep it in the bottle because it may just be accustom to the environment . I will find out thanks for the tip :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here