Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Rock Garden Design

Posted by DavidsJosie none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 7:44

This is the Best Rock Garden Design i have ever seen http://mostbeautifulgardens.com/tips-attractive-rock-garden-design/ i do love to make something like this in my backyard any tips and advice ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Rock Garden Design

That's a great garden. Easy to make too. The border looks like fieldstone and the accent rock is slate. It looks like the photo was taken by a drone with a camera on it. Once you do the perimeter border, you can place the accent rock, then just fill in the spaces with plants you choose for your zone. Some of those rocks are pretty big pieces though. Some are step sized to walk up in to the garden it looks like. The red tree in the middle looks like a Japanese maple, there are several evergreen shrubs, some of ground covers look like saxifraga, and the white flowers from afar look like snow in summer would look up close. A nursery could help pinpoint the plant types. You don't have to use the same ones. It would be a stellar project to undertake though. Good luck if you do.

o

Rocks in a rock garden should be of one kind, not a collection of 'pretty' rocks as is most often seen. The rocks should be placed so as to appear 'natural', not randomly haphazard as if they were dropped from the sky. They should 'flow' and have some sort of direction as if they are a part of an old outcropping formation. Generally I place the rocks in what I call 'lumpy strings'. Here's an example of one I made a few years ago. The picture was taken when the rock garden was young, but it shows the rock placement rather well. Between the strings are trails, a place for the eye to follow.
To me, plants serve a secondary role to the rocks. I did add a few for color over the years, but it is primarily a rock garden, not a flower garden. Don't plant in front of the rocks and hide them. That defeats the purpose of a rock garden.
Hope this clarifies a few things concerning my approach to designing a rock garden.
Mike
Rock garden photo 2303323230036511179.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

o

You have a stunning garden! How long did it take you to get it in its current state?

o

Thank you.
35 years. It's been a fun learning experience the whole way. I enjoy working with a shovel, rocks and plants for some reason. It's a form of relaxation when I'm immersed in designing the garden. Some parts are 'happy accidents'. :-)
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here