Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just love Columbine

Posted by tngreenthumb z6 TN (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 8:50

Such interesting blooms. These are the first few that have bloomed but there are more coming. Over time I think I'll collect quite a few of these.

(Click images for larger versions.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just love Columbine

How do you keep the (is it?) sawflies away? I love the flowers as well, but those darned larvae once ate my plants down to the bare stems!

o

Oooh those are purdy! So delicate...I tried a few different ones but never had growth except for Black Barlow. I love the dew or rain on their beautiful leaves.

Juanita

o

• Posted by patsi z7-S.Jersey (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 15:49

Great pics...love columbines also but I did have leafminer problems last year(flowers were fine).
Mine in zone 7 are just starting to bloom.
If you want to look here are some from last year ~Columbine and Hostas

Patsi

o

mitanoff: Never had any problems with them. Well no more than anything else.

Juanita: We just got the Nora Barlow from Spring Hill this year. Probably won't see blooms on it til next year. These are really putting on a show now. Unfortunately they'll be done soon.

But something else will be in bloom then, so it's all good!

Patsi: I see a few of those now and then on the columbines, but never enough to be a major issue.

I like your doubles. I need me some of those. Do you grow yours mostly in the shade or in more sun? Same question applies to your hostas.

Anyone ever managed to get native columbine (Tennessee here) to naturalize in your garden? That's my next goal.

o

i had native columbine going very well here in auburn, al for several years and they were expanding their range into the woods. lost every one of them this year, blaming the drought pattern of the last two growing seasons.
i started with two plants and just left them alone, did not cultivate the area at the edge of the woods, and they took off.
will probably re-establish some more plants soon.
i like the flowers in your photos better than those of
a. canadensis...just not a fan of orange flowers.

o

Woohoo! Just this past weekend got a couple of native columbines at the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap!

Now if I can just manage not to kill them...

o

Hello! I am up in the Chicago area and am trying to grow some Nora Barlow and McKana Giants from Springhill mail order. They are looking so far so good... do you have any suggestions for nurturing them along? Should I not expect them to bloom in a few weeks? I appreciate this forum so much!

o

SO LOVELY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here