Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a few chilly spring morning photos from my garden

Posted by juliaw 8a/Sunset 5 -- PNW (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 15:54

I took a bunch of photos in my yard this morning. I didn't really realize until I looked at them that spring has sprung. I hadn't noticed how much growth was underway (including weeds, unfortunately). Not much in the way of flowers to look at, but a lot of intense, fresh, rain-washed greens (the dianthus are almost neon!). If you see white strings running through the images, those are marking the borders between the beds and walkways for some sort of future edging that I haven't decided on yet. Thanks for looking!

Hostas eyes, aquilegia (new to me this year), and astilbe starting in the shade of the deck. There are (tentatively-identified) Astilbe tacquetii in the front (the barely-visible new red stems and foliage), Astilbe 'Diamant' center back, and Astilbe 'Amethyst' with the bronze foliage on the right rear.

A happy catnip.

Another shady area with Huechera 'Palace Purple', hosta (eyes are invisible at this distance), dwarf rhodies, more astilbe ('Erika' -- the burgundy foliage immediately in front of the cream rhodie), violas and another new clump of aquilegia lower left. The flamingos (yes! I have flamingos!) are transluscent and backlit so they glow like they're on fire.

The hydrangeas are filling out.

The Lady's Mantles (Alchemilla) won't look this good again for the rest of the year.

Backlit Vinca minor glows in the morning light. (And yes, the color is that intense -- they're actually hard to look at in real life.)

Sedum spathulifolium dressed in dark winter colors. During the summer it's a riot of pastel shades.

Dianthus barbatus, a Red Lacelaf Maple, and sedum wearing their spring finery.

Daffodils have handed off the baton to the iris.

Verbena bonariensis peaking out of the soil. Summer can't be far away!

And finally, tomatoes shivering on the back deck.

Happy spring everybody!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a few chilly spring morning photos from my garden

A fun and informative tour. Thanks for sharing it with us.

o

Very pretty.

Thanks for sharing.

Now you must post more pictures when all the hostas are up. I'm starting to plant a few hostas and I just love them.

Your sedum is very unusual.

o

lol...........loved your narrative tour!

'shivering on the back deck' gave me a chuckle

how old are your hosta?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here