Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
careytearose

a children's 'Secret Garden'

careytearose
16 years ago

I wanted to share a very new and exciting project we've started at our house. We reclaimed the left side yard (formerly the "junk" zone") to create a special garden for our children. We call it "the Secret Garden" as we are fans of the book and films. The size is 37 feet long and 5 1/2 feet wide. A challenging sized space to design for! The front entry way to the garden from the back garden has two five foot tall columns of brick that will have a concrete ball finials. The wood gate will have a keyed lock; with an escutcheon plate on the front side and a rim lock on the back. I had to do some web hunting to find this kind of lock! As there was no shade in this area, we've gotten three evergreen pear trees. I "interviewed" the children to see what they wanted for their garden. They want a place to read and play games. Our son (age 10 1/2) wants a small rock waterfall and pond, and a "rainbow" flower garden. Our daughter (age 12 1/2) wants a bed for vegetables. They both want mostly fragrant plants. We have a small arch that will have wisteria and thornless roses. I found a very nice stone birdbath at Filoli's gift shop. The children have been working closely with on the design plan and plants selected.We'll be able to have partial and full shade plants here, we have full sun everywhere else in the back and front yards- why we have so many roses! I've got a few pics of the garden in the early stages on my online Picture Trail album.

careytearose

Here is a link that might be useful: Secret Garden pics- see Landscaping Projects album

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz