Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a children's 'Secret Garden'

Posted by careytearose z9 NoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 07 at 21:24

I wanted to share a very new and exciting project we've started at our house. We reclaimed the left side yard (formerly the "junk" zone") to create a special garden for our children. We call it "the Secret Garden" as we are fans of the book and films. The size is 37 feet long and 5 1/2 feet wide. A challenging sized space to design for! The front entry way to the garden from the back garden has two five foot tall columns of brick that will have a concrete ball finials. The wood gate will have a keyed lock; with an escutcheon plate on the front side and a rim lock on the back. I had to do some web hunting to find this kind of lock! As there was no shade in this area, we've gotten three evergreen pear trees. I "interviewed" the children to see what they wanted for their garden. They want a place to read and play games. Our son (age 10 1/2) wants a small rock waterfall and pond, and a "rainbow" flower garden. Our daughter (age 12 1/2) wants a bed for vegetables. They both want mostly fragrant plants. We have a small arch that will have wisteria and thornless roses. I found a very nice stone birdbath at Filoli's gift shop. The children have been working closely with on the design plan and plants selected.We'll be able to have partial and full shade plants here, we have full sun everywhere else in the back and front yards- why we have so many roses! I've got a few pics of the garden in the early stages on my online Picture Trail album.

careytearose

Here is a link that might be useful: Secret Garden pics- see Landscaping Projects album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a children's 'Secret Garden'

I love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here