{{gwi:58080}}

{{gwi:58082}}

{{gwi:58083}}

{{gwi:58084}}

{{gwi:58085}}

Comments (18)

• bultman
    16 years ago

Looks like a beautiful garden. The colour combination in the first photo is just stunning. Thanks for showing them.

Bernadette

• jerriedee
    16 years ago

Absolutely stunning ! Your conifer collection is also amazing, and you blend the two together so artistically.(conifers and maples) Would love to see more pics as the season progresses and changes. Thanks for sharing.

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

dansgrdn,
    What is the lime green plant in the front of your bed in the last picture? Its beautiful!
    All of your gardens are wonderful!!
    Dena

• wood_nymph_ont
    16 years ago

Wow, your gardens are lovely! The colours are striking, especially that first picture! What is the pinky-mauve fern like shrub in the upper left corner of the first picture?

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dena, I 'm sorry I can't remember the name of the perennial you're refering to. I don't see it very regularly though. If you e-mail me privately with your address, I'll divide it and send you some if you'd like.
    Woodnymph,the plant in the upper left corner of the first picture is a dissectum variety of Japanese maple, Acer palmatum 'Red Dragon'. Dan

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Absolutely stunning!! Love your color combos and the conifers.Don't think we can grow conifers here in S.Calif,at least i've never seen any.TFS
    Kathi

• neerod
    16 years ago

WOW Those are beautiful! Great combinations....I should be outside wedding! Thank you so much for sharing! Doreen

• tmetz
    16 years ago

i think you garden is amazing.. i also enjoy the evergreens and maples.. i have recently purchased skylands, japanese blue white pine, and white pine contortous (sp?), and goldilocks (white pine with yellow new growth) how did you determine the spacing because it appears that the specimens you have will grow quite large???? thanks tmetz

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tmetz, thanks for the compliment. Nice choices with your new conifers. Yes, alot of my stuff is planted too close together for ultimate size. The Japanese maples, I prune for shape and my theory on the conifers is kind of plant for color and texture for now, so that things look good to me, and move certain things out of the beds as they get larger. I have certain anchor plants that I don't intend to move and others I'll likely have to move soon.(Looking at the sixth picture there are about four plants that will be relocated next, or the following year) A good portion of my plants I got as 1 gallon containers or new grafts, because they're hard to find , but they're really starting to fill in and necessitate, moving some stuff. I'm short on space so I do tend to space things closely, though, I have to admit I've never been much of a rule follower in spacing or zone. Have fun collecting conifers, they're very cool and a bit addicting, then again so are Japanese maples and hostas etc. Later, Dan
    P.S. here's a little more conifer color
    {{gwi:58086}}
    {{gwi:58087}}
    {{gwi:58088}}

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    16 years ago

Wow! What are those last conifers you posted???? I want my yard to grow up to look like yours. Got us 10 acres of property 2 years ago, but have been working on the road until March, finally getting to clear alot of the overgrown mess and dicover alot of heirloom plantings. Have a long way to go, but you sure are an inspiration!!!!

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dinajean, Pinus parviflora 'Ogon Janome', Pinus sylvestris 'Barrie Bergman' and Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst'. Glad you enjoyed the pictures, Dan

• gulabmali
    16 years ago

Simply beautiful!!!

• Missy_GardenWhimsy
    16 years ago

Great pictures of your fabulous garden!

• angie1010
    16 years ago

Where do you buy those beautiful conifers? Angie

• botann
    16 years ago

Dan, your photos are well framed and composed......as is your garden. Always a joy to see. Thankyou.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Missy.

Angie, if you are in Northern Illinois, Rich's Foxwillow Pines in Woodstock Illinois is your best bet. If you are looking for a mail order source, try Coenosium Gardens. Glad I piqued your interest : ).

Botann, thanks for the encouragement and nice comments. I consider it high praise coming from someone with a garden as mature and beautiful as yours. I really appreciate it. Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Gardens

• Pat z6 MI
    16 years ago

oh
    my
    god.
    how great to look at these fantastic pictures today.
    or any day.

• ginger57
    16 years ago

Lovely!!!!!!!