Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neat spider

Posted by molossermom 10 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 3:26

I took this picture after accidentaly disloging the spider from the center of an orange blossom. I've seen these guys a mostly in citrus flowers and once in a rose. seeing them at all is challenging because what they do is sit in the middle of a blossom amongst the stiemens and tuck their legs back and up so they look just like the center of the blossom. They go a step further by actually color matching. kid you not. In fact the spider in the picture had already started to change colors from a much brighter yellow. The one I saw in a blossom in my lemon tree was purple and cream and the one in my pink rose was a light pink and buttery yellow. Its one of the prettiest spiders Ive come across . If any one knows what it is i'd love to know more about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neat spider

That looks like a brown recluse. I'd keep far away from it if I were you.

o

Good advice ,,,if it was brown recluse.fortunately it isnt'. Images of what brown recluses look like are easily found on the internet and so I was able to rule that out right away. Plus my pic is a very very close up pic making this little guy look bigger than he is. He's only the size of a pea.

o

Good advice ,,,if it was brown recluse.fortunately it isnt'. Images of what brown recluses look like are easily found on the internet and so I was able to rule that out right away. Plus my pic is a very very close up pic making this little guy look bigger than he is. He's only the size of a pea.

o

It's a crab spider! They are so cute!

o

Hi,
The Chameleon Spider looks like your spider and changes colour as you have described.

o

Hi, I realize this is an old thread, but I believe this is a whitebanded crab spider (Misumenoides formosipes). Their colors vary dramatically from specimen to specimen, but this is your girl. Its a great photo!
You will never find a recluse in the garden, especially not on a flower.
A chameleon spider is not actually a species, but the goldenrod crab spider is commonly referred to as a chameleon due to its ability to change color (which can take days/weeks depending on the color!) Hope that helps
Alexis

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitebanded Crab Spider

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here