Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just123me

Privacy plants to use as fence

just123me
17 years ago

I have Leyland cypresses in back of backyard that work great and some type tall bush/shrub on the other side, but the other side of yard in back has no type fence/barrier for privacy and the house next door is in full view and close...absolutely no privacy and it's right there.

My yard is landscaped really nice and natural looking (thanks to previous owners), but I'd like some creative ideas to get privacy on other side. I was considering a fence all around, but decided against it and how it might take away from yard. Are there any creative ideas I could have for just putting a fence on one side? ...or should I just stick with a tall tree/shrub for privacy?

If so what is a fast growing thick bush/tree that might work good?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• rose3
    17 years ago

I don't know what zone you are in but perhaps a Pergola with grapevines? If you get 3 year old vines they grow and fill in quickly.

• loriafopiano
    17 years ago

If you don't want a whole lot of fencing, how about just a short length like this:
    {{gwi:58125}}
    Then you could add a climbing plant to it: clematis, climbing hydrangea, wisteria, trumpet vine, or the like.
    Here's a pic of sweet autumn clematis on a fence, and you can see it can be quite effective for privacy:
    {{gwi:58126}}

• yourpal
    17 years ago

Since we don't spend a lot of time outside in the winter (in NJ), I use deciduous shrubs for screening around my property. I find they're less structured/formal than the typical arborvite that people use for this purpose. My garden style is an old-fashioned, informal, cottage-y garden type, where more is more. Around my property I have used the following:
    Forsythia: If you have sun, you'll get bloom; if not, you'll get great foliage and it gets very lush.
    Viburnum: Mine is good in sun and partial shade. Has nice blooms. Mine don't particularly smell that pleasant.
    Oak Leaf hydrangea: Good for sun and partial shade. Fabulous blooms, great winter interest.
    Mock orange: Good for sun and partial shade. Wonderful-smelling blooms. Can grow enormous.

All these will grow to screen size within three years after which point you won't be able to see your neighbor's yard at all.

• dewey05
    17 years ago

I like Lori's fence. I have a duplex next door and I started with a fence like hers but it was too confining for me so I cut it in half and added 2'x8' lattice to the top half. Then on one of my river jaunts two years ago I found a vine growing all over some trees near the river bank. (Not invasive or poisonous.) I took some cuttings home and got them to root and planted them. now they have covered the lattice all the way to the front about 30' I trim them occassionally and reloop then into the lattice when they hang down. They don't need much water and give that fence a natural look.

Also they shield my kitchen sink/planters bench and barbeque area which I just covered with lattice and took some of the longer vines and intertwinned them into the new lattice. Early morning sun then mostly shade there but they are doing fine. I started some last season on the west fence and that is taking well also.

• friend
    17 years ago

How about some lilacs? If you are in a colder climate, it would be pretty, the spread and fill out, and are beautiful and smell fabulous.. :)

Sponsored