Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Ideas for my House

Posted by shajan (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 9:41

Please give me some ideas as to what to do with this front yard. I'd like to liven it up a bit. I'm thinking of a retaining wall in front of the window.

This is in Long Island.

Thanks,

Shajan

Image link: Need Ideas for my House (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Ideas for my House

Right off the bat, that big picture window on the first floor is asking for a long window box. I'm thinking bright red geraniums would look great. Then, fill a planter on the sidewalk, either on the left, where the curve starts, or on the right, against the garage, but not in both places. You could echo with the gereniums, but also add something for height (grasses), and cascade something.

That would get you jumpstarted for not a lot of $$ or effort and would perk up your already cute house. You can refill them with mums in the fall, and plant some bulbs for next spring (or pansies).

o

Thanks yourpal. I'm thinking of a small retaining wall(planter?) in front of the window area. Will that be too much?

o

I don't think the retaining wall planter is necessary. I do like thw aformentioned window box. I would add a second coulmnar arborvitae or dwarf spruce on the right side of the large window to frame it nicely. I would buy a decorative urn and a spiral evergreen for the right side of the front door. Then I'd buy matching planters with decortive grasses and annual flowers for either side of the garage door. Good luck.
---Keith

o

Thanks Kieth, I like the ideas. I'm going to research building a window box now. Never thought of it. I'm glad I posted here.

o

You've got that lovely curving path leading to the front door that is just screaming to be planted. Bringing the plants out away from the house and around that curve will help draw the eye in to the yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here