Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktaylo20

Celosias growing but will not bloom!

ktaylo20
9 years ago

My celosia is growing well but where are the flowers?
I collected seeds from a yellow celosia plant last year and for the first time, have started my own from seed this year. After transplanting them to containers, they took off growing, BUT there hasn't been one bloom on any of the three I planted.. So... I'm reaching out to the cyber world for help..
Does anyone have any thoughts about why my celosia plants haven't blossomed yet? They are growing very well but it is only foliage, no flowers.
I started them from seed in late February and they've been in pots for over 60 days. It's now the May 31st..
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
-Knoxville, Tn Gardener

Comments (13)

• ktaylo20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, after 5 days of no responses or follow ups, ironically my question answered itself. One of my celosia plants has started to bloom!! I'm excited now to see this.. Due to the size of my plant, I have a feeling it is going to explode with huge blossoms!!
    So... Although I'm a little disappointed in what seems to be a dead "forum", I hope this question and self answered concern serves someone well one day when they too are wondering the same thing I did..
    In all, I started celosias from seed, they grew very well, but they took WAY longer than the typical "days till flowering" given by most celosia seed data. My yellow celosia plants took over 90 days to start flowering.. So if you've started from seed, it could take 3 months before you plants start flowering.. Atleast mine did.
    -Guess it's not well thought of to have a 2way conversation with yourself so I'll quit with my own and the only follow up to my original post.
    Have a nice day .. Me! :)

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

I didn't but just now see your query ... But I'm glad you answered yourself... Happened to me too a few times. Patience is a gardeners' best friend, sigh....

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Do you have a picture of them flowering? They are very interesting plants. Look up fasciation.
    Mike

• Jay 6a Chicago
    7 years ago

The plant looks very lush.Too much nitrogen fertilizer causes a lot of leaf growth and less flowering.Fertilizers that promote blooming will speed flowering up.

• Tina Lant
    5 years ago

It's mid-August and I'm having the same issue. I bought the seeds online about a year before I could start them, but when I did last April they took a while but finally began to grow . I replanted them in a pot on my front porch once they sprouted in early June. I followed all variables for growing them; sun, water, etc.... and they took off! The foliage looks beautiful but still no blooms. I use Miracle Grow plant food about once a month. I see these questions from the others are 2016 and it is now 2018. Did any of you finally get yours to bloom? Thanks much!

• Sandra Padron
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Celosia is sad ?

• Sandra Padron
    4 years ago

HELP

PLEASE

• Tia Smith
    3 years ago

I am having the same problem with my celosia not blooming, but I did finally see a small bloom forming on just one of my plants. Can’t wait to see how they do.

• Becky Minor
    3 years ago

I am having th same problem with my celosia..I started them indoors, transplanted in th garden in May...Here it is mid July and I hav nice plants with only a tiny bloom at th top..very hot and dry in west Tn and I have watered them occasionally but no fertilizer due to the heat..any advice?

• ordermystuff
    3 years ago

From my original post above, just wanted to mention that mine finally did bloom but it wasn't until very late in the year.. if I recall correctly, it was well into Sep or Oct. Looked beautiful though. I live in hot and humid Virginia and the location i choose was southern facing, so plenty of sun.. maybe too much? I don't know.

• Tia Smith
    3 years ago

Mine are finally blooming!! it took them forever to do so. I just kept them watered when ever needed

• HU-539427354
    last year

I just did a Google search to find out why my 18" tall Celosias have this problem - beautiful, lush foliage but no blooms! Glad I stumbled on your post, and am encouraged to think they'll eventually come through. :-) While I didn't start mine from seed, I discovered in late spring that some "volunteer" seedlings were emerging from an outdoor pot I'd had some gorgeous, unusual colored Celosias (bright pink with burgundy-tinged foliage!) planted in last year. They were purchased as young (blooming) plants from a nursery. Naturally I was thrilled to see they'd evidently self-seeded and left them alone. Over the past couple months they seemed to thrive, growing taller and thicker - but alas still no flowers! In my impatience I started pouring on liquid bloom fertilizer, but still only continuously growing foliage. So thanks to your post I've now come to think that that organically seeded Celosias will just take their sweet time about blooming - roughly 90 days, haha! So looking forward to the return of those gorgeous, feathery pink flowers for at least the last couple months of summer and fall anyway! Thank you for following up on your post; you've helped at least one other discouraged gardener. 😊 [To anyone starting your own harvested seeds indoors - might want to sow them in Jan to give them a head start! 😉]

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus