Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wow! What a Poppy!

Posted by tngreenthumb z6 TN (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 19:48

This had one bloom last year, but nothing like this one. (And there are a few more developing!)

Perennial poppy. I think it was sold as a "California Poppy" but I don't know the species/cultivar name. Anyone know?

Oh, and that is a 5-1/4" board behind it in the first photo, just for sizing. The reproductive parts there are nearly the size of a golfball.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wow! What a Poppy!

Beautiful poppy!!!

o

Yes, lovely! But hardly a California poppy. An oriental poppy, perhaps?

Our California poppy is much simpler with a single petal color -- usually a bright orange but variations include near white, pale yellow and a warm red orange -- not nearly so much texture to the petals and open lacy foliage.

I think your poppy is beautiful and I'm trying to grow more traditional varieties in my garden. I've got a Shirley poppy that looks similar but has pink petals.

You can let the seed pods dry and, when they're fully dried and you can hear the seeds rattle around inside, you can sow them in your garden in the fall and hope to have a good display in subsequent years.

The wikipedia has a page with numerous pix that may be helpful. For some reason I'm not able to post the link to it. Just google "California poppy".

o

A very fine example of an Oriental Poppy (Papaver orientalis). I grow a few in my garden near Edinburgh (Scotland) and I have few problems. Grow them in a sheltered spot where the are protected from wind which damages the plants. After flowering, plants can be lifted and divided every 2 to 3 years. There is a wide range of named cultivars available.

o

Yes-an Oriental Poppy...A few of my perennials must be behind times! Mine are now getting their buds, lots of beautiful foliage though...Mine took a few years to really be nice, its also the same color as yours, Tn, pretty...I can't wait for the blooms!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here