Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Before ...and in the middle.

Posted by wbonesteel 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 19:50

The wife and I retired and moved to Southern Oklahoma a couple of years back. We bought a small fixer-upper on the edge of town. The landscaping was a wreck. Parts of it are still a bit...mature.

Within a couple of weeks of completing our move, we had the front yard measured and plans drawn on a few sheets of graph paper. Then, as the work progressed, we began the planting diagrams. The project is going exactly according to plan, but we're about six months behind our original schedule.

The budget, however, involves lots of shoestrings, and we've done all of the work ourselves ...and by hand.

When complete, this will be a fully edible landscape, with every square foot of the garden in production - except for the paths, of course. We're just about half way there. We have approx $2,100 invested in amendments, edging, plants, compost, with landscape cloth and sand as a base layer under the gravel paths.

We have approx. another $1,500 budgeted for the project over the next year to a year and a half. Remaining work: 1.) Build boxes around the raised beds. 2.) Purchase and install the remaining permanent plants. 3.) Remove the sod and replace with edible ground covers. The latter task may be scheduled for three or four years from now, depending on how I feel about things. The sooner I get tired of mowing the grass, the sooner the edible ground covers go in.

First, the 'before.' pic...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before ...and in the middle.

Now, for the 'after' pic.

o

• Posted by b2alicia zone 5 Westminster (My Page) on
    Sun, May 19, 13 at 20:28

WOW!!

That's incredible!
What an enormous amount of work!

Congratulations on all your progress!

o

Thank you, Alicia.

A little here, a little there, an hour here and fifteen minutes over there, with a couple full days tossed in, now and then.

Anyone can do it, if they have a plan and don't have to deal with a HOA or some such. The codes are fairily easy to get along with, here, too.

The first three or four moths the front yard looked like a royal mess. I was getting some pretty strange looks from people. What *they* saw was a skinny old man running around the front yard with a shovel and a piece of string, digging everything up. What I saw was something else entirely: Possibilities.

It didn't really start to shape up as planned until this spring. Now, it's *starting* to resemble the imagery I had in my mind's eye, all along.

o

So lovely!

o

Thank you, lnorigb. I do appreciate it.

One of my favorite vews of the garden is from a nice, comfy chair under the cedar tree...while drinking some ice tea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here