Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

New To Gardening, check out what I did to my front lawn

ricksample
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to planting flowers and everything. Last year we built a new house and had to do everything from planting our own grass to planting our own flowers. Anyhow, this spring we edged a mulch bed all in the front of our house and down the side. We also planted a bunch of flowers/bushes/lilies, etc. Do you think we have to many just enough plants? I don't want it to look crowded and I want it to flow nicely.

Let me know what you think about it =)

{{gwi:56430}}

{{gwi:58972}}

{{gwi:58974}}

{{gwi:56432}}

{{gwi:58975}}

Comments (5)

• botann
    14 years ago

How do you get to your lawn without walking through your flower bed? The shape of the lawn should reflect the flow of foot traffic.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm... what do you mean? We hardly go out to our front lawn, but when we do need to we just step over the mulch bed (where the lilies are) because it's only about a foot wide. Or if we're in the driveway we enter the grass through there. We even have 2 other doors (One at the back and one on the side) on the house that lead out to the lawn. In other words we really don't have to walk through the mulch bed to get to the lawn or anything like that.

We just wanted to create sort of a scenic front walkway. It's working pretty well so far. It's nice to go out and see the butterflies on the lilies along with the strong smell of the lilac bushes.

• abolivigail
    14 years ago

Very pretty! Those Hostas are going to be gorgeous when they get really big!

I'm wondering, though, what if you put the lilies between the porch and the Hostas, and put some kind of ground cover where they are currently? I'm not really sure what would be good in your area, maybe alyssum? Portulaca? That way the flow goes from tall to short?

• ricksample
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! We were actually going to put the lilies between the hostas/bushes and our front porch, but it looked a little to crowded since we have bushes hiding behind our hostas... I hope the bushes start to grow lol.

Anyhow, we started to play around with them and figured that they would look pretty nice by the walkway so people could see them as they came to the door.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Had you considered placing the asiatic lilies behind the hostas? Maybe use either 3, 5 or 7 bulbs/plants in a grouping. Probably the 7 might be too much. Do you have your date set on your camera? I've decided that is a good thing to have. One can keep track of time certain flowers usually bloom, or keep a record for another reason. You can always move stuff around later if you don't like it the first year. I like that red door a lot better than the white one! What about if you used the same color scheme in your flowerbeds as in your containers on the porch? Looks like you've got room for some nice porch sitting furniture and a small table in between the chairs.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner