Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papa56_gw

Overwhelmed

Papa56
10 years ago

Got this government HUD foreclosure home for $19,000.00 and after 14 trips to the landfill in a 14 foot box truck full of beer cans and dirty diapers I can see the fence line? Not sure what to do now and mowed the yard. It's like a jungle and overwhelmed with unknown plants. Not sure how you folks create these landscape masterpieces but I am in big trouble without a clue. The place has elephant garlic growing in patches of bamboo? House is gorgeous, vaulted ceilings, full finished basement but the huge fenced yard has gone wild. Think it was an oriental landscape at one time because it is full of structures. Any suggestions? Seriously have corn growing in the flower beds?

Comments (12)

• Papa56
    Original Author
    10 years ago

photo of corn with flowers?

• Papa56
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These vines are all over the fences? No clue what they are?

• Papa56
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Which ones are weeds?

• Papa56
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously invasive, have these yellow ones everywhere. Are they weeds?

• Papa56
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These purple ones have taken over the entire walkway to the back door. Any suggestions? Jungle here?

• rose0lavender
    10 years ago

The yellow flowers look like black eyed susans. I don't know if they are invasive or not, but I grew them in my moms garden and haven't seen them back for this season (yet...). I enjoyed them while we had them.

If that was my yard, I would just mow everything down and tarp the whole yard for the summer/winter, and start fresh, but that's me. :P

For those less crazy, do the areas that may have more aggressive/invasive plants growing, or the area you are going to be around the most?

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Maybe see what kind of grapes you get from pruning back a few "runners" on the fence.

all others flowers would probably love to be donated to a community garden?? tell them to come dig them up for you? Just a suggestion.

You have hostas behind the the grayish green tall plants with yellowish blooms( name escapes me) seeds easily.

Near the door may be a type of mint? smell it. if it is that IS invasive.

Tall "corn" could be a type of lemon grass used for Asian cooking. Pull one up and crack the plant about the root. smell it. Next to that is Batchelor's buttons - blue. seeds easily.

Maybe post something for your area only for free plants??

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

Papa56 I notice you are new to this site. There is a landscaping forum that would suit you better. You have an entire yard to do, after all.

• clairabelle
    10 years ago

Hey Papa56, what you call corn in your backyard is actually ornemental grass... gone wild :D You may need to dig up and discard (or put in pots by the roadside to share?). This grass (looks like a variety of Miscanthus) looks pretty invasive to me.
    The yellow flowers near the garden hose look like achillea, can't be sure because too far away. If it is, you have another invasive one on your hands...

MY SUGGESTION: Take lots of pictures (with close-ups) and go to your local garden center. Let experts help you distinguish weed from treasure!
    I would not worry, what may look like a challenge now will soon enough become home sweet home, with the right advice and attention.
    I'll be sending you a "FREE PERENNIALS" sign in the mail :D

• gmatx zone 6
    10 years ago

It appears to me that the "corn" in the corner where the fence meets the house is good old Johnson grass - very invasive with roots that are extremely hard to eradicate.

The picture with the water hose in it has hostas against the house, achillea (grey-green plant with yellow flowers - possibly Moonbeam variety), and the tall-limbed green plant in front looks like a salvia. Some garden club or a nursing home/care center would probably appreciate the plants that you decide to get rid of. If a local garden center could recommend one of their customers to you, you might offer to share the plants with them in return for their help in giving you suggestions on which ones to keep and where they would be better placed in your yard. You really do have several good plants to start some nice flower beds with.

Best of luck.

• susie53_gw
    10 years ago

The yellow ones against the house are blackeyed Susan's. let them finish blooming and then pull some of them. Hostas are back against the house. The tall grass I also believe is Johnson Grass. You need to dig it out. It wil take over. I would suggest that you start in one area and work your way out.
    Perhaps some of your neighbors that have pretty yards could come and take a lok and help you pick what to keep and what to dig. There is great yard there it is just going to take time. Keep us posted.

• sunflower_fun
    10 years ago

The Corn looking plants are probably escapees from a bird feeder (pull it up or mow it). In the third picture the tall plants without yellow flowers are weeds. The grape vine may be a wild grape and not have signifigant fruit. In the last picture is probably mint(which is invasive) and asiatic dayflower(which can also be invasive) . I would leave the susans.

Sponsored