Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A California Friendly Landscape

Posted by central_cali369 USDA z9b/ Sunset z9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 2:49

Hi, I wanted to share a little of what I've been working on for the last couple of years. The area in which I live receives less than 10 inches of rain per year. A lawn is not only impractical, it is simply not meant for our desert climate. I have been experimenting with different desert plants and foliage types to add texture and interest to the garden. Here are some pics of my work so far. I hope you enjoy :)

Native Penstemon with Stipa tenuissima and powdery echeverias.

The low grey Santolina has the lovely yellow blooms, and the sedges and grasses provide movement in the garden. We receive some coastal winds so the grasses look lovely swaying in the wind. Other plants include Cotyledon var. oblongata and Aloe Cameronii that add interest with their powdery pink and bright red blooms, respectively.

More of the Santolina, blooming cotyledon and Phoenix canariensis palm

Cotyledon blooms, and you can spot a dark (nearly black) aeonium "floating" in the background.

Blooming echeverias

Salvia canariensis and our native coastal artemisia make for a dramatic grey/purple combination.

Our native Datura wrightii

And out native primrose grown from seed collected in the hillsides near our home.

I forget the name of this Aloe, but there is a variety of succulents here including Aloe arborescens and Aloe 'Hercules' here. Both are large tree aloes.

And finally our small front yard. The palms were pre-existing and we decided to water them with drip irrigation and incorporate desert grasses and plants underneath.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A California Friendly Landscape

Beautiful gardens,just the right combos of everything.TFS
Kathi

o
RE: A California Friendly Landscape

Hi,
Wow, what beautiful gardens! Your front yard is fabulous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here