Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phallic mushroom

Posted by mucknmire zone6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 05 at 8:09

With the humidity of the past few weeks the mushrooms have been flourishing. This is one of the more interesting ones I've seen - a stinkhorn, mutinus caninus I think.

Image link: Phallic mushroom (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phallic mushroom

We used to really laugh about these, but I haven't seen one in years. It's just impossible not to make the connection between this mushroom and, uh, well...you know!

o

You're very bad mucknmire :) . I've seen the "other" "variety" but not these around where I am in NJ :).

o

Yep!

o

We had one of these "pop up" in our yard yesterday morning. It was even more phallic-looking than your photo. AND, it had...spurted! :p My husband didn't have the stomach to get rid of it, so I had to do so. But not before the flies had already taken away most of the spores. I suspect there will be more either very soon or in the spring.

BTW, the STINK in Stinkhorn is right. And it smells JUST like it looks. O.o

o

That one is one of my absolute FAVS! We discovered them this year and had something like a small grove of them growing in our mulched natural area. I immediately took photos and added to my Yahoo garden album. BTW, anyone know why photobucket.com wont load today after logging in? Is there a more reliable site? People I email links to from there are telling me that they cant load the links either.

o

Jammeez, your description of the mushroom was hilarious. I can relate with your husband not wanting to get rid of it ;). Can't comment about the smell.

Quirkpod, I've seen many in the past month. This is the time for mushrooms here so no doubt I'll see more but not in a small grove. The most I've seen in one place is about 3-5. They seem to grow in wood chips or mulched areas.

o

Well, I've never seen a mushroom like that before, I KNOW I'd remember!
JoanMN

o

I had never seen one of these either. Until now, and sure enough they have popped up in my yard! I've enjoyed the huge variety of mushrooms we've seen in the last 2 years but this one is just gross!
Debi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here