Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Roses this year

Posted by cyberianblonde z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 8:53

I am new to roses. Here are a few shots of some I put in this year.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Above-Left to right; Fragrant Cloud,Chrysler Imperial,Cary Grant,
and the McCartney Rose
A different viewPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting<
I'd like to plant something low growing between the roses.
Any suggestions anyone?
Happy Independence Day Everybody!
Becky
Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Roses this year

This time of year you might stick in some periwinkle to finish out the year?

o

No suggestions for the ground cover, only wanted to say what a nice color combination you created with the dark and light contrasting foliages. Also, great curving path!
---Keith

o

Very pretty. Why not plant sweet alyssum as a groundcover? Its annual, but I just sprinkle the seeds in the Springtime and they come up with the season's rain. Other groundcover suggestions that are perennial, instead of annual, would be: catmint, ladies mantle, geranium (Rozanne is a nice variety), lambs ear, salvia, lamium (aka dead nettle), ajuga and daylilies (low growing ones like Stella O'Doro). Good luck!

o

Hmmmmm....thank you all for the suggestions and the comments. I'm gonna have to mull over your ideas. So many great ideas!
But since I've spent my limit on flowers this year I have till next year to decide.
I really appreciate your input!
Happy Gardening!
Becky

o

Maybe something with lots of interesting foliage. I would shy away from chartreuse since you have a lot of the color in those shrubs near the house. There are lots of coleus that would look good there between the roses. Something with gray leaves would look good too and help tie together the different colors. Salvia would be pretty too. With the different colors of roses you planted I think you could go with more dramatic colors if you wanted as nothing would really clash.

o

Nepeta (Catmint) "Dropmore Blue" would be a good groundcover for your roses.

o

Nepeta is a soft gray green with the most miniscule purple white flowers that will flow over the pavement and soften it. It will work well into the landscape you have create, beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here