Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honeybee and butterflies

Posted by carol23 z6PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 05 at 10:19

Since the honeybees are under attack by mites, I was looking for them. Clover in the lawn is a magnet.
The butterflies like the Lilium lancifolium which have overtaken my garden. Stem bulbils mean hundreds to thousands of new plants so I've spent a good deal of time removing them. Don't plant these lilies in your garden if you want other species since they carry a virus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honeybee and butterflies

Beautiful pictures! The second one is my favorite, but they are all great.
Sher

o

Wonderful pictures. The liliums you talked about remind me of muscari - they'll take over, too!

o

Wow, Those are great pictures. What camera do you use?

They are soo close!

o

Thank you!
My camera is a Nikon Coolpix 950, an older model.
I'm pleased with the results.

o

Great job Carol. The butterflies are more abundant this year...at least here in mid-Michigan. That second one could be a postcard. :)

o

WOWie KaZOWie, Carol! They're wonderful pix!!

~Rosemarie

o

What does the virus carried by the lilies do? Kristi

o

Sorry for taking so long to reply!
The virus causes the slow demise of other Lilium species and hybrids, except for trumpet lilies, and a few hybrids that seem quite resistant. Lilium 'Black Beauty' is one that doesn't appear to be bothered. The virus causes streaks in the foliage. It can take a few years for it to kill a lily bulb. Lilium lancifolium is unaffected by the virus but passes it to other plants via insects like aphids. Almost all of my 'Casa Blanca' lilies have died due to this.

o

Wow. I have had turks cap lilies in my garden for 4 1/2 years, and my neighbor has had them for many many years, and they don't bother any of the other lilies in the same garden. You probably already do this, but if you mulch around them heavily with cypress mulch, about 3 inches, it will keep them for spreading seed so badly. Maybe try putting them in an area by themselves as an accent to your gardens?
Thank you for the beautiful pic's!
Blessings, Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here