Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my garden

Posted by mitusko (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 10:44

Hi all, here's a mini-tour of my garden which is very much a work in progress. Although new to gardening, I belong to the third generation of my family to have ambitions for this piece of land, which was entirely bare apart from one elm tree when my grandparents first aqcuired it in 1953. After they moved in, the elm promptly died. We have 'difficult' soil here, apparently.

First up is the view coming into the property. The rusty grate in the foreground is an old cattle-grid of which I am rather fond, mostly because it proves we really are properly out in the sticks here.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I am less fond of these 1960s fiberglass sculptures on my front lawn, but other members of my family love them. Perhaps some lichen-frosted boulders half buried in the grass would soften the effect?

Here is what you see when peeping round the west side of the house into the back garden. Our lawns were in a terrible state even before the current drought browned them - weedy, mossy, thistly - just horrible to tread barefoot. At some point I'm going to dig them out, recess and flatten the main one, and start over with new turf. I also want to try out some non-grass lawns over low-utility areas, the goal being an extremely plush, pillowy effect.

Veggies!!

This next pic illustrates a potentially huge project. The pool, even when full, is an eyesore that does not integrate with the rest of the garden. I want to break up its rectangular outline with some wooden decking and rockery - accommodating a BBQ terrace - and turn the whole thing into a swimming pond. This will require ingenious planting, partitioning and plumbing, as I am just now finding out.

There's a monster lurking in this photo - a Himilayan Blackberry thicket on the edge of my property, spreading silently yet relentlessly. Both its roots and thorns dig very deep. But despite the blood, despite the blisters, I know this is a war I will win.
I. Will. Win.

That's all for now, I'll save the other nooks and crannies for another time! Any suggestions/feedback most welcome, I am still very new to horticulture and landscape stuff. Having a lot of fun so far!

mits x

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my garden

I love it. How big is this garden, it looks huge. Thank you for the tour.

o

thanks softball. I think the garden itself is just over one acre. A lot of work for not very many people - just me, my mom, an elderly friend from the village, and occasionally my aunt and uncle. There are a further 9 acres of fields and meadows attached to the land but they are full of nettles, thistles and brambles plus sheep & horse poo (not our animals - we rent out the land).

o

Your gardens are absolutely beautiful! They are even more special due to being owned/gardened by 3 generations. The sculptures are great and now heirlooms...... I would keep them. What do you have growing in your flower garden (smallest to tallest)? I like the rows you created.

o

those sculptures are the coolest! i had to check and see where you live, but the united kingdom is a little far from iowa! they are right up my alley! also, your acreage is fabulous! it won't be long and you'll have that pool looking gorgeous! keep up the good work!

o

thanks for the comments! Other people people admiring my sculptures has taught me to enjoy them. My family calls them the Survivors - they weren't supposed to last more than 5 years outside but after 40 they seem good as new. Aloha - the flowers in that border from outside in are marigolds, begonias, then something I can't remember but I will find out, red flowering salvias, giant African marigolds, and an old Hydrangea in the middle that is only now just beginning to flower - I will post better pics soon. You can't tell in the pic but that particular bed is triangular in shape and because the rows of plants grow to different heights, it forms a big pyramid of colour when in full flower.

o

I love your garden!Gosh I wish I had so much space to play in.You are doing a wonderful job,and I love those sculptures!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here