{{gwi:60045}}

Comments (14)

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Wow. My plants don't look that good even when we have rain. :(

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're too kind Linda. And, I bet that's not entirely true, but thanks anyway!

It seems to me the "art" of photography is to, out of the big humdrum "picutures" we all see every day, minimize the unatractive and/or boring parts and play up the parts that kind of look good or interesting. Right now in my garden, that is getting harder and harder. Yikes.

I'm not sure if that is because of my limits as a gardener or a photographer. :)

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Oh, yes. That IS entirely true. I would be so delighted to have at least a few plants looking as good as yours.

I've been toying with the idea of taking some photographs of my own - of my poor withered, stunted, heat-blasted, water deprived plants. But I fear it would be a huge downer. I know it is for me.

I've gardened with some success in all kinds of places/climates/soil types: western NY (VERY short growing season), southern CA (black adobe soil, er...concrete and SNAILS), Atlanta (red clay...see adobe), and a bog here in SC (I learned more about swamp plants than I ever wanted to know). Now I've moved to "plant He!!" We don't have dirt here...it's pure, snow white sand. And it doesn't rain much. AND my well is going dry. You can only imagine.

So. I really enjoy looking at your beautiful flowers. Cause I sure don't see any around here.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, Linda, you are very kind. Thanks. Which "neck of the woods" are you in that is giving you so much trouble at the moment?

It sounds a little southwest-ish? If so, you might want to look at High Plains Gardening. They have plants that take 'hot and dry' a little better.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops, mistyped. The name is High Country Gardens.

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Nope. Smack dab in the middle of South Carolina. They call this area the "sand hills" - for very obvious reasons. Our "soil" is pure white sand. And somehow the weather that comes from out your way seldom makes it all the way here. Rain just kinda gets as far as Augusta and then fizzles. We've had very dry conditions for years now.

And on top of that, my well has decided to give it up. We've gone from 20 gallons per minute to 6 this summer. Ouch. And the well diggers around here are so busy (or something) that we haven't been able to get one to come out and drill a new well - and we've been actively trying to do that for over two months now.

As for why my plants are doing so poorly...I can't tell ya. (As if the water problem were not enough.) Dh grows his veggies quite well. Of course, he was sneaking water to them right along (while I was rationing showers!). But somehow, my flowers just sit there. I plant and they sit. They don't really get much bigger. They bloom a little (or not) and then they shrivel. If I didn't really, really, really love gardening I'd find a new hobby. I dread the day when I finally give up, though. I've loved this for so long. It would be really hard to have to decide that I just can't do it here.

• JoanMN
    17 years ago

Those plants look like they're doing great!
    JoanMn

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Joan (when almost all else fails, go with tight shots!)

Linda, yeah, definitely not High Country Gardens kind of place. One other thought comes to mind, if tight water supplies and pressure is an issue, next summer you might invest in a drip system for the flowers. I don't have one, but I hear it can save alot on water usage and it can be set to come on when you are not using the water pressure in the house as much.

Tell hubby the cost of the drip system is the price he has to pay for sneaking water to his veggies! :)

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

I had to laugh, rc...

A few weeks ago I bought 400 feet of drip hose so I could set up a system like that. Guess what happened to it? That's right. It's installed in dh's veggie garden!

I don't know if I'm gardening or rehearsing for a season of "Survivor"!

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ha. That is funny Linda. But, since we are getting out of the area I might know something helpful about, gardening, and into an area my wife would assure you I haven't a clue about, marital relations, I think I'll pass on providing any more suggestions. (But, if you bury soaker hoses he'll never know you are stealing more water than he is! :) )

• acoreana
    17 years ago

Hello,

Could you please identify what the first picture is of? I scour this forum looking for plants I'd like to add to my garden, and that one is just so beautiful!

Thank you kindly,

Nat

• jleek
    17 years ago

wisteria

• acoreana
    17 years ago

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your kind words. Sorry I missed them for awhile. And, yes it is wisteria.

Another poster has suggested it is chinese wisteria. It was here when I moved in five years ago so I don't know for sure.

FWIW, most years it has its biggest flush of blooms in the spring. This year the freeze got the first batch. It has bloomed more in the summer this year. Don't know it that is related to the freeze, or just coincidental.

Sponsored