Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers with visitors

Posted by springa7 z5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 05 at 11:08

Erigeron/Fleabane with some type of fly -

Unknown flower (perhaps a Bachelor's button?) with a bee -

Parsley flowers with an ant (the flowers are very unimpressive to the naked eye, but they actually look nice magnified in a photograph) -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers with visitors

I agree on detail photos...nice to see up close & personal! I especially like the design of that Parsley flower! The ant gives it perspective!

~Rosemarie

o

Your pictures are great! Bees, etc. always make pictures more interesting.

Sher

o

Wow, those photos really look 3D!

o

Wonderful photos!! I think your Bachelor Button relative is Centaurea dealbata (Persian Cornflower). Check out this link, and see if you agree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google hit for Centaurea dealbata

o

HOW are you getting such clear close up shots? What kind of camera and lens are you using??

o

cailinriley - I think that you are correct about that flower being a Persian Cornflower. The flowers and foliage match the pictures on Google very closely. There was an old label saying "Scabiosa" near the base of the plant, but I think that was from 2 or 3 years ago. There is a real Scabiosa only 2 feet away, so I suspect that the plants have shifted positions a little over the previous couple of years and we forgot to move the signs!

Gingers Garden - I'm just using a 2 1/2 year old, fairly basic Kodak digital camera set to take pictures of objects close in. It's actually pretty "hit or miss" as to whether I get good photos or not. The camera's focusing is automatic so I just try to maneuver it so that the flower that I want to get a closeup picture of is filling the center of the screen. Sometimes the camera makes its own decisions and chooses to focus on the background rather than the flower in the foreground. I use the little display screen on the back of my camera to try and get it into an ideal position for the close up shots. On sunny days, I have learned to set the exposure level to -0.5 or - 1.0 so that the flowers won't look too bright and washed out. Other than that, it's largely luck of the draw. I probably post about 1% of the photos that I take.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here