Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more groundcover pics

Posted by Chris_ont 5a Ont (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 05 at 12:50

Hi
Here is the way my ground cover bed is shaping up. The idea was to try a whole bunch of different ones and then see how they duke it out. The "winners" (prettiest and forming the densest cover) get to take over a piece of lawn.
Here is the battle so far:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Surprisingly, the creeping thyme (beside petunias) are holding their own in spite of serious competition from surrounding plants.
The white guys are most agressive but I wonder if they won't look ragged once finished blooming.
The purple guys in the back seem to be switching to the yellow team.

The foliage of the pink guys (left) looks a lot like the yellow guys but is blooming later. Pink guys spread fastest - weeds don't stand a chance.
Blue guys in front are a definite contender but very aggressive and late to get going in the spring (I thought they didn't make it through the winter. They are now seriously crowding the wee little wooly thyme (bottom), which is making a run for it.
The little pretty with the single white flower appears to be looking for a referee. I think I'll rescue it.

Clearly, Yellow guys annihilated the purple team. Will be interesting to pick out the survivors to start them somewhere else - I rather like that colour.

Hmm, can ya tell I can't find my plant tags right now??

C.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more groundcover pics

Wow, what an beautiful idea! I love the mixture and think it would be wonderful if they can all live happily together. I think I'd just keep them controlled by pulling some out and transplanting or trading it when it gets too big for it's space. I'd sure like for you to find your plant tags and tell me what they are. ;-)

Nancy

o
RE: more groundcover pics

A lmost a whole year later,but as they say"better late than never.

Do you know yet what that greyish/white is to the left of the yellow coreopsis and the rock in the first picture??.
It's all beautiful,so tell us how it all turned out,and did you keep it all??
TFS
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here