Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magnumv8_gw

My Dahlia Garden

magnumv8
17 years ago

I posted these on a different forum and someone asked if I would put them up on the gallery forum. Here ya go.

{{gwi:60148}}

{{gwi:60149}}

{{gwi:60150}}

Comments (10)

• gw:golly_g_whiz
    17 years ago

They are absolutely beautiful. They remind me of my grandfather's garden. He doted over his dahlias. Gosh it really makes me miss him...

• treefrogon
    17 years ago

So pretty, mine don't even have buds yet.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    17 years ago

Are they in pots? I would like to try them in pots if that is possible. I planted some in the ground and had to dig them all up when the Voles arrived. Robin in NC

• hugglekid
    17 years ago

I love Dahlia's. Thanks for the pictures... I get to have a Dahlia bed next summer. Woo Hoo.

• juanital
    17 years ago

Prettty!

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    17 years ago

They are gorgeous! I had to dig all of mine up in full bloom due to Voles. Now they are sadly waiting in buckets with no place to go. Care to share your growing tips? In ground vs. pots? Any vole problems? How do I re-do mine next year to avoid voles?

• JoanMN
    17 years ago

Those are lovely!
    JoanMN

• magnumv8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry for not responding to your questions. I totally forgot about this thread. Now, two months later, I stumbled upon it.

The bulbs aren't in pots. I don't think we have voles around here. This was only my second year of growing dahlias. I planted some 2 years ago. They did very well. But then I didn't plant any the following year. This year I thought about 'em and decided I should plant some.

I don't really have any growing tips to offer. The bulbs were planted in Miracle Gro Garden soil and then mulched. I did plant them very early, when they first were available for purchase. I got them from Lowes, I think. The dahlias do receive a lot of sun, though. They're still blooming, even now in late September.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. And sorry for not responding sooner.

• jbean_2006
    17 years ago

Are these a perennial? My mom gows these every year and I think what a waste!

• magnumv8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't think they are perennials if left in the ground. From what I've read, if you dig them up, let 'em air out, then store in a paper bag in a cool area, plant in the spring, and they should return next year.

Even if they are only annuals, they are absolutely not a waste. How dare you!!!! LOL! For the 5 bucks a bag of bulbs costs, they go a long way. They are easy to grow, last a long time, and look fantastic. Waste? I think not.

Sponsored