Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Dahlia Garden

Posted by magnumv8 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 13:11

I posted these on a different forum and someone asked if I would put them up on the gallery forum. Here ya go.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Dahlia Garden

They are absolutely beautiful. They remind me of my grandfather's garden. He doted over his dahlias. Gosh it really makes me miss him...

o

So pretty, mine don't even have buds yet.

o

Are they in pots? I would like to try them in pots if that is possible. I planted some in the ground and had to dig them all up when the Voles arrived. Robin in NC

o

I love Dahlia's. Thanks for the pictures... I get to have a Dahlia bed next summer. Woo Hoo.

o

Prettty!

o

They are gorgeous! I had to dig all of mine up in full bloom due to Voles. Now they are sadly waiting in buckets with no place to go. Care to share your growing tips? In ground vs. pots? Any vole problems? How do I re-do mine next year to avoid voles?

o

Those are lovely!
JoanMN

o

Sorry for not responding to your questions. I totally forgot about this thread. Now, two months later, I stumbled upon it.

The bulbs aren't in pots. I don't think we have voles around here. This was only my second year of growing dahlias. I planted some 2 years ago. They did very well. But then I didn't plant any the following year. This year I thought about 'em and decided I should plant some.

I don't really have any growing tips to offer. The bulbs were planted in Miracle Gro Garden soil and then mulched. I did plant them very early, when they first were available for purchase. I got them from Lowes, I think. The dahlias do receive a lot of sun, though. They're still blooming, even now in late September.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. And sorry for not responding sooner.

o

Are these a perennial? My mom gows these every year and I think what a waste!

o

I don't think they are perennials if left in the ground. From what I've read, if you dig them up, let 'em air out, then store in a paper bag in a cool area, plant in the spring, and they should return next year.

Even if they are only annuals, they are absolutely not a waste. How dare you!!!! LOL! For the 5 bucks a bag of bulbs costs, they go a long way. They are easy to grow, last a long time, and look fantastic. Waste? I think not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here