Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Pics/files are to big for hortiplex.... how to resize?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

Hi so I've figured out how to "imbed" images in a posting so they show up there. But I was trying to add some images to the hortiplex and it said file "rejected" or whatever.... file larger than 60k..... What does that mean? How do I resixe the file to fit? If photobucket's files are rhe right size how do I put them in the hortiplex? Thanks :)

Comments (7)

• adam114
    18 years ago

I'm new to gardenweb so I'll stick to how to resize images and leave the usage of the site to someone else.

If you have Microsoft Picture It or Adobe Photoshop, the process is similar. Open the image and depending on the software, select save as or export as web image. Select a size to make the image. Then save it. Make sure it is saved as JPEG or GIF. PNG may also be okay but is not as supported as JPEG and GIf online.

You should check the help file of the software you use to see if it has a web image function as the process is different for every program.

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

You can reduce your photos in Photobucket ( resize), but that means the photos will remain at the smaller size permanently.
    Also, a freeware program, Irfanview, can be downloaded and used to shrink photo size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irfanview

• Herb
    18 years ago

Download either JPEG Optimizer or JPEGCompress. They are quite small programs, and each will compress a Jpeg file to the number of kilobytes you want - while at the same time showing what the picture will look like at that compression.

Click for the JPEG Optimizer site

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi so I used one of the sites - the jpeg optimizer - Victoria recommended but am pretty lost as to how to really use it. I tried to cpmress my image but it wouldn't go down to 60 bytes. My image started out at 1,831,690 bytes. Is that size resizeable? And when I went as low as I could go (about 30?,000) the image looked really terrible. Any tips? Is the "jpeg" "compress site" easier to use? If you resize photos at photobucket how do you send them to hortiplex? When I log into/try to load a pictures into hortiplex it automatically scans through my personal pictures file. I tried to add links/tags from photobucket but I couldn't/it wouldn't accept. Help! I know alot of people load images onto hortiplex so it can't be impossible! :)

• Herb
    18 years ago

I think I should have explained that there are two different things - i.e. file size and picture dimensions. A picture that has file size of 1,831,690 bytes (which is quite a big file) probably also has large dimensions & should be quite a good picture.

However, if it's file size is taken down to 60 bytes, it will certainly look terrible. What you should be aiming at is taking the file size down to about 60kb - i.e. 60 kilobytes, which is not 60, but 60,000 bytes.

2. It a picture still looks bad at 60kb, or is too big for you screen, you probably needed to first reduce the picture dimensions - which are not the same thing as the file size. Pictures from digital cameras are often quite big - e.g my camera gives pictures with dimensions of 2048 x 1536 pixels - far too big to fit on my computer screen. A good size for Hortiplex & for most computer screens is a picture 800 x 600.. Irfanview (mentioned by Carol) is a very good program for doing this.

When you try it all again, I suggest you first use Irfanview to change the picture dimensions to 800 x 600 & save it at Irfanview's 'best' quality. This will probably still be stored as a file way above 60kb, but it should be considerably less than 1,831,690 bytes. Then use JPEG Optimizer to compress the file containing this 800 x 600 picture down to 60kb.

Herb

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks very much Herb (I thought before you were "victoria" :) ) .... I finally figured it out! (I didn't think I was going to be able to) You've been a big help. :) Here's my pic! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: There's mine the

• nora_in_vancouver
    9 years ago

Does anyone know if Hortiplex still exists?

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County