Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Flower ...

Posted by rogertse NE AR (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 15:58

That's why they called it a Spider Flowers...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Flower ...

That's beautiful!
JoanMN

o

I have been looking for the ID of one of these for about a month. I had one come up in a old garden spot and didn't know what it was. I tried to upload a photo but mine was too big. Could you post another photo of the whole plant so I can be sure this is the same. Mine has some kind of seed pods that come straight out from the long part of the stem just under the blooms. Could I save these for replanting or trading. Thanks in advance for any help learning about this plant and its name.

o

Spider flower AKA cleome you can read it from this link
http://www.gardenguides.com/flowers/annuals/cleome.htm

Here in AR zone 7, I never bother with them and they came back every year and grow like crazy, I have tons of them growing all over my property, they can grow to 5-6' tall and can be very messy... I can take some pictures of them in the morning and post them here...

o

That was very helpful and yes I would love to see your photos. I have no idea how this plant started cause it was not here last year. I collected the seed and pods today cause some of them were drying out and opening. How do I save them for next year. I have them in a sealed bowl for now and also do I need to wait for the other pods to open before I store them. I have already picked all of them, hope that was ok. Thank you again for the info, I am glad I didn't just mow it down as a weed before it bloomed.

o

The Spider plant took over one of the vege garden this year, and I was too busy to clean them out, wife kind of weeded them, and this is how they look like with a lot of them together

and one of the older plants

and one of the close ups of the seed pods

I transplanted two of them to an area for the flowers, you can see how they stand up with the beautiful zinnia

We have never save the seeds, never had to, because they came back up each year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here