Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to do a foundation garden

Posted by legacybuilder2 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:16

This is my first time in the garden forum and I'm by no means a gardener so I need help. I assume you are just as amazing as the home forum folks with suggestions! :) I'd like to put some flowers between these shrubs to make it more colorful. The existing shrubs are so tall I don't know if it will look weird with flowers.

We want to put our house on the market soon so I need some quick curb appeal. :) I need something that will stay in bloom or begin to bloom now into late summer. I live in Virginia Beach, VA. This side of the house gets morning sun until about 1p each day.

Any suggestions and recommendations?!

By the front door I have jasmine (white) and 3 day lilies (orange).

By the mailbox I have all purple: Clematis, vinca, and I don't even know the names of the others.

I did buy some yellow purslane today, not even sure a good idea. It was pretty.

Oh Yeah, I have a container I need to make pretty. :)

photo IMG_0875.jpg

photo IMG_0876-1.jpg

photo IMG_0879.jpg

photo IMG_0878.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to do a foundation garden

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 18:25

Are you in love with that large bush/scrub by your front door? Do you know what type bushes/scrubbery both of those two are?
While Purlane is pretty, it can become invasive and become a monster..speaking from my own experience,;put that purlane in a container, not in your flower garden..I know I haven't been much help but you almost have a full slate to work with which makes it easier. What flowers do you like; what style.? Do you want perennials, annuals, low maintainence? How much time do you have to spend working in your flowerbeds? Are you bothered by deer in your area eating what you plant? Do you know the difference between annuals and perennials? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I used to spend as much as $500 every Springtime and 99% of them were annuals that did not return the next spring. You'll learn a lot from reading these forums..I did and are still learning.. There are a lot of very nice gardeners, knowledgable and willing to share their knowledge and sometimes their plants at local plant swaps or maybe you have some friends or relatives that need to divide their plants and can help you get started. Go to your local library and check out flower gardening books and it might give you some ideas.

o
RE: Want to do a foundation garden

This is really very very beautifull garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Analysis Lab In Delhi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here