Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariero

Grdn bed re-do new! *Many pix

rosemariero
18 years ago

If I wait to become a good editor of my 100s of pix, this would never get posted! :D So.o.o.o...

Just a bit of the "before" & some of the "after" of one of my front garden beds. Part near the street was already there & it's a section between our driveway and the neighbor's.

First, I should explain that this area has been flooded a few times...usually only once or twice a year. I finally decided to pull out the grass & plant another garden!

BEFORE ~Front corner near street after the flood water has gone down:

{{gwi:60481}}

AFTER ~front corner, some old & some new plants...along w/new driveway:

{{gwi:60482}}

BEFORE ~when strip was flooded back in Jan/Feb:

{{gwi:60483}}

AFTER ~mid-section when planted in May:

{{gwi:60484}}

AFTER ~July, same section, but from other direction:

{{gwi:60485}}

After ~further up the drive, as it bottlenecks:

{{gwi:60486}}

After ~skinniest part between driveways, further up side of house:

{{gwi:60487}}

A few selections of plants w/ a bit more detail:

{{gwi:60488}}

{{gwi:60490}}

{{gwi:60491}}

{{gwi:60492}}

Hope I didn't bore you with the saga! :D

I have a gazillion pix of this new garden bed from morning, noon & night! Be glad I didn't post them all!

~Rosemarie

Comments (20)

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

ALL THAT FLOODING SURELY DIDN'T DO YOUR GARDEN ANY HARM.iT'S ABSOLUTLY BEAUTIFUL!

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

It looks gorgeous, Rosemarie! You did a fantastic job. Love the color combinations.

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

It is nice to see you don't waste any space in your little patch of heaven. You really got them jammed in there, but in a very artful way. I also like the fact that it doesn't have an artifical look. Bless you, that flood looks like it was pretty bad! We had four typhoons (same as a hurricane) last year in a six week period, so I know what that's like! Great gardening. PF

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, kindly, folks!

Eliza Ann, the floods didn't harm the plants out front, near the street...but the rest of them (from the tree back to the house) are all new. We will have to see how they fare when the next heavy rainfall comes. Thank goodness it isn't often!

Carol, I'm only trying to follow in your footsteps (and BambooMary's too--have you seen her gardens? ~as well as others posting here)! Your gardens are inspiration to me!

Very nice of you to say, PF, as I consider myself an artist! My motto is "If you can see dirt, you don't have enough plants!" I have many shots of various vinettes in the garden. Oh MY on 4 typhoons~EEK! No, ours isn't as bad as it looks...just a slow-moving sewer right in front of our house...that can't handle lots of rain all at once. It goes down after an hour of the rain stopping.

~Rosemarie

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Wow! What some people can do with a blank canvas! Indeed you are an artist. That bed is absolutely beautiful.

Nancy

• Joyce
    18 years ago

One word: AWESOME!!!

• kristal
    18 years ago

Lovin' It!!!

• flowergirl_VA
    18 years ago

I'm not always a fan of some of the sidewalk plantings folks do (some of them look to "jungle-y" for me, but yours is extremely lovely and tasteful. Excellent work! Thanks for sharing. :-)

• Vikki1747
    18 years ago

Fantastic plant arrangement and color! I'd love to share that driveway garden, wish I were your neighbor. Thanks for posting. Vikki

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, thanks, ladies!

Nancy, a blank canvas CAN be daunting! But once I'm into it, I'm on a roll! :D It took me quite a while to dig out the grass from that area (some you can see left in that 1st pic).

Joyce, I really LIKE that word "awesome"! :D

Glad you're lovin' it, Kristal!

Flowergirl, funny you should say that...I actually prefer the PRE-jungle look...but most times JUNGLE conditions prevail. :P I don't want my gardens to look like everyone else's. I also want to OOO & AAAAH every time I come out of the house!

Hee hee, Vikki, I think I'd like YOU as my neighbor too! I'm hoping to plant something REALLY tall bewteen the ones I have!

Thanks to you all for your very generous compliments!

I have a load of "cart-jumpers" sitting on my other driveway waiting for me to tear out the front of the house bed & re-do it! LOL
    ~Rosemarie

• aprilwhirlwind
    18 years ago

You did a nice job, such pretty colors!!! That final picture caught my eye especially .

• lakecottage
    18 years ago

You are a garden artist! What is name of daylily in last shot? I LOVE this type of garden in spite of my German hybridizer mentors who insist on lots of space & mulch between plants. You have a real eye for garden design!

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind remarks! I like to think I paint with the earth now rather than on paper (although it would be nice to get back to watercolors some day).

Daylily in the last shot is Hemerocallis 'Double Deseret'. Hey ~ I think I'll go gather up all the Daylily shots of this area over the past couple months & start a new post! Back in a bit!

~R

• NikkoBlue
    18 years ago

In the 7th picture down (After ~skinniest part between driveways, further up side of house:) what is the orange tall flowering plant.... it is beautiful?

Oh, and by the way your garden is amazing!

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, NB! That's Leonotis leonurus, Lion's Ear. Some seed must've fallen from parts I pruned off the plant in back (pictured below, growing taller than the edge of the roof), because I didn't plant it.

{{gwi:60493}}

~R

• RapaJ
    18 years ago

Lovely gardens!
    What is the cute pink flower in the 6th picture?

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

RapaJ, Thank you! That would be Argyranthemum frutescens 'Summer Melody'!

~Rosemarie

• springa7
    18 years ago

I'm impressed by how many different types of plants you fit into a relatively narrow strip, with all of them healthy and blooming.

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yep, Springa, I was happy to get all of them in that narrow strip! Now, finding a spot for my foot between them in order to deadhead & maintain them is pretty tricky! :)

~Rosemarie

• Tenderheart_Zone5
    18 years ago

Beautiful, Rosemarie. :)