Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Heather

Posted by GeoffHandley Shropshire, UK (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 05 at 19:21

The purple heather is out- Erica cineria I think. Photographed this afternoon on a sandstone ridge in Cheshire.

Image link: Wild Heather (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Heather

Wish I could grow heather here but it's simply too hot. Lovely photo.

o

I love habitat shots like this. I've never seen one growing like that in the wild. Thanks for the shot! PF

o

• Posted by BoTann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 14:45

Isn't that Heath, or is that just the local name? I think Heather is Calluna and Erica is Heath.

o

I never refer to names like heath, they are so confusing. Over here both are referred to as heather eg. Erica tetralix is often referred to as cross leaved heather. I used the name from Keble martin and the alternative name for purple heather is fine leaved heath. Calluna vulgaris which is yet to come out is referred to as Ling. Much simpler to use Latin, at least you know what you are talking about!

o

To add to that, the word "heath" is also applied to the entire Ericaceae, hence the heath family. Better to stick to Latin binomials, but some people seem uncomfortable with those. PF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here