Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctgph

Hydrangea Macrophylla

ctgph
18 years ago

Not too original, but this was one of the first plants I ever planted about 3 years ago. Finally flowers!

{{gwi:60964}}

Comments (8)

• defaultro
    18 years ago

I just bought one about 2 weeks ago. It's about 18 inches tall for $13. It has flowers too. But I noticed everyday during full sun, the flowers bends towards the ground. I think I should move it to some area that gets shade. I think, it should not be on direct sunlight. What do you think guys? And also, I found out that these guys grows to 6 to 8 feet tall. Is this true?

Nice flowers by the way!!!

Neil

• ctgph
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Neil. Yes, mine gets dappled sun all day under high oaks... except for direct sun about 11:00-1:30. It droops like you are saying on warm sunny days. It would probably be best with some light shade in the afternoon. On the other hand, I have one out back that doesn't get any sun after 12:30 or so, and it's nice and lush green, but never flowers. I don't know if they get that large in our zone where they die back so much in the winter, but it is getting larger each year... maybe 4'+ now. Down by the shore (more zone 6) they get nicer - less dieback. Flowers come from old wood, so dying back too much doesn't help.

• flowergirl_VA
    18 years ago

In my experience, hydrangeas need lots of water to keep from drooping. Lovely picture, BTW.

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Lovely, yes, lots of water is the key. They will take full sun in New England no problem and bloom more as well. Here in its homeland it is grown in full sun with no wilting problems (unless it doesn't get enough water). The largest ones I've seen are right around 6-8 feet, but the climate here is more mild and moderate, so they keep a lot of old wood each year. PF

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

The clue about lots of water is, the name hydrangea comes from the Greek word hydra.

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Hey Natvtxn,

True "hydra" does mean water but "hydrangea" means "water vessel"; a reference to the shape of the seed capsules, not for its love of water. PF

• gmgypsy
    18 years ago

Mine are water deprived and tired right now from the Texas sun (even in full shade almost all day and twice a day daily watering)...yours are beautiful, and such a nice shade of blue!

• NikkoBlue
    18 years ago

My hydrangea blooms, even with plenty of meracid, have all turned green. But they are still beautiful. Yours is a wonderful shade of blue. The one plant you have in the shade will never bloom, they do need at least dappled sun for a few hours a day to produce blooms (mornning sun is the best).

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction